[comp.dcom.lans] Splitting Algorithms for CSMA/CD

lws@comm.wang.com (Lyle Seaman) (12/21/90)

I was reading the documentation on Intel's new Ethernet
chip, the 82596.  It says that the chip supports a mode
in which a splitting algorithm is used to resolve collisions
instead of simple random wait (yeah, with binary exponential
backoff...).  My question is:

Is anybody using this?  Does anybody out there think that
this might be fun to do?  I guess that it would provide
minimal performance improvements for standard LANs, but
it might help a lot for LANs which cover large distances.

I was intrigued to note that a vendor had actually implemented
it, I thought it was sort of an idle academic speculation.

--
Lyle                  Wang           lws@capybara.comm.wang.com
508 967 2322     Lowell, MA, USA     Source code: the _ultimate_ documentation.

jwb@monu6.cc.monash.edu.au (Jim Breen) (01/04/91)

In article <1990Dec20.183227.19729@comm.wang.com>, lws@comm.wang.com (Lyle Seaman) writes:
> I was reading the documentation on Intel's new Ethernet
> chip, the 82596.  It says that the chip supports a mode
> in which a splitting algorithm is used to resolve collisions
> instead of simple random wait (yeah, with binary exponential
> backoff...).  My question is:
>
> Is anybody using this?  Does anybody out there think that
> this might be fun to do?  I guess that it would provide
> minimal performance improvements for standard LANs, but
> it might help a lot for LANs which cover large distances.
>
> I was intrigued to note that a vendor had actually implemented
> it, I thought it was sort of an idle academic speculation.

I have read one article on a splitting technique, which was being
called "802.3D" (D for deterministic). According to the article,
it had been developed for/by/in conjunction with/etc the French
Navy, which wanted to use ethernet for onboard communications but
was not happy about the non-deterministic nature of ethernet's
response times. Perhaps this explains this mode in the 82596.

(The mind boggles at the thought of an Exocet coming over the
horizon while the packets from fire-control to the Phalanxes are
going collide, backoff, collide,.....)

As I recall, 802.4 also has a splitting technique to sort out
collisions arising from >1 responses to a "solicit successor"
frame.
--
Jim Breen                                   AARNet:jwb@monu6.cc.monash.edu.au
Department of Robotics & Digital Technology.