[comp.dcom.lans] LAN Manager APIs

rwmira01@ULKYVX.BITNET (NEWS_PERSONALNAME) (12/15/90)

Does anyone know of a good book that talks about programming for LAN Manager?
It seems that I have libraries and header files on our server for what would
appear to be Microsoft C compiler.

We are using AT&T StarGROUP 3.3 (3.4 soon) and I have seen a reference to
Microsoft C.  Can these libraries be used with Turbo C++?  Where can I find
information on what each routine does and what is passed to it?

Thanks in advance
Rob Miracle
"Remember, no matter where you go, there you are!" -- Buckaroo Bonzai

dmatlock@eecs.cs.pdx.edu (Delbert Matlock) (12/15/90)

rwmira01@ULKYVX.BITNET (NEWS_PERSONALNAME) writes:

>Does anyone know of a good book that talks about programming for LAN Manager?

Microsoft press has released two books about programming for LAN Manager.  They
are:

	Microsoft LAN Manager, A Programmer's Guide   ISBN 1-55615-166-7
	Microsoft LAN Manager Programmer's Reference  ISBN 1-55615-313-9

The "Guide" is a good introduction for programming with LAN Manager APIs, but
the API listings are a little convoluted.  The "Reference" is just that, a
straight forward list of API, conventions, and practices.

>Microsoft C.  Can these libraries be used with Turbo C++?  Where can I find

No help to give here, although I've been curious to try it.  I've heard tale
that there is some differences in the way MSC and Turbo C pass variables (at
the assemply language level).  This could cause some problems in the
parameter passing.

You know, Allistair Banks of Microsoft has followed the comp.os2.* groups and
has been able to shed some real light on the mysteries.  Maybe someone from
Microsoft should spend some time in this news group?

Delbert Matlock                         Internet:  dmatlock@eecs.cs.pdx.edu
MicroNet Northwest
Voice:  (503)228-3071

jbreeden@netcom.UUCP (John Breeden) (12/15/90)

--
 John Robert Breeden,
 netcom!jbreeden@apple.com, apple!netcom!jbreeden, ATTMAIL:!jbreeden

jbreeden@netcom.UUCP (John Breeden) (12/15/90)

In article <163rwmira01@ULKYVX.bitnet> rwmira01@ULKYVX.BITNET (NEWS_PERSONALNAME) writes:
>Does anyone know of a good book that talks about programming for LAN Manager?
>It seems that I have libraries and header files on our server for what would
>appear to be Microsoft C compiler.
>
>We are using AT&T StarGROUP 3.3 (3.4 soon) and I have seen a reference to
>Microsoft C.  Can these libraries be used with Turbo C++?  Where can I find
>information on what each routine does and what is passed to it?

1. "The AT&T StarGroup Software Lan Manager API Programmer's Reference",
Document #999-120-207. Orderable from The AT&T Customer Information Center,
(CIC) 1-800-432-6600.

2. "The MicroSoft Lan Manager Programmer's Guide", available where "better"
computer books are sold.

3. Yea, Turbo C++ works just fine.

--

beng@microsoft.UUCP (Ben Goetter (beng, 1/2154, x68609)) (12/29/90)

In article <924@pdxgate.UUCP> dmatlock@eecs.cs.pdx.edu (Delbert Matlock) writes:
| rwmira01@ULKYVX.BITNET writes:
| >Microsoft C.  Can these libraries be used with Turbo C++?  Where can I find
|
| No help to give here, although I've been curious to try it.  I've heard tale

Should work just fine under OS/2.  The libraries are just imports from a bunch
of DLLs; if Turbo can call OS/2 entrypoints, it should have no trouble with
Lanman.  As I understand that Turbo will not emit Windows code, I suppose
you'd need to use Zortech or Microsoft under that environment.

| You know, Allistair Banks of Microsoft has followed the comp.os2.* groups and
| has been able to shed some real light on the mysteries.  Maybe someone from
| Microsoft should spend some time in this news group?

Somebody is.  We're listening.

--
Ben Goetter (microsoft!beng)

rdthomps@vela.acs.oakland.edu (Robert D. Thompson) (12/29/90)

In article <60101@microsoft.UUCP> beng@microsoft.UUCP (Ben Goetter (beng, 1/2154, x68609)) writes:

>Somebody is.  We're listening.
>
>--
>Ben Goetter (microsoft!beng)

Sir,

	Since somebody is listening...

		I have a recently-old brochure of (past) dates for
		LAN-Manager 2.0 Seminars.  This brochure states that
		attendees can get 70% off LAN-Manager and associated
		development tools.

	Since I have missed these seminars...

		Are there any new incentives (i.e. discounts) for
		purchasing LAN-Manager 2.0 for network applications
		development.

	Thanks.
---
Robert Thompson
rdthomps@vela.acs.oakland.edu

beng@microsoft.UUCP (Ben Goetter (beng, 1/2154, x68609)) (01/08/91)

In article <4455@vela.acs.oakland.edu>
            rdthomps@vela.acs.oakland.edu (Robert D. Thompson) writes:

| I have a recently-old brochure of (past) dates for
| LAN-Manager 2.0 Seminars.  This brochure states that
| attendees can get 70% off LAN-Manager and associated
| development tools.
|
| Are there any new incentives (i.e. discounts) for
| purchasing LAN-Manager 2.0 for network applications
| development.

Nothing special for the seminars, no.  Our partners have sundry
promotions going-- bundle deals with SQL Server, for example-- but these
aren't tied specifically to the seminars or app development.

Disclaimer: I'm just a developer, and so am not terribly savvy to this
sort of thing.  Many such questions you might instead want to pose to
Microsoft Inside Sales, Systems Software.  1-800-227-6444.

Ben Goetter
microsoft!beng