[comp.dcom.lans] LAN Manager APIs & Windows

bsteiner@bcm.tmc.edu (01/04/91)

In article <60101@microsoft.UUCP>, beng@microsoft.UUCP (Ben Goetter (beng, 1/2154, x68609)) says:

>In article <924@pdxgate.UUCP> dmatlock@eecs.cs.pdx.edu (Delbert Matlock) writes:
>| rwmira01@ULKYVX.BITNET writes:
>| >Microsoft C.  Can these libraries be used with Turbo C++?  Where can I find
>|
>| No help to give here, although I've been curious to try it.  I've heard tale
>
>Should work just fine under OS/2.  The libraries are just imports from a bunch
>of DLLs; if Turbo can call OS/2 entrypoints, it should have no trouble with
>Lanman.  As I understand that Turbo will not emit Windows code, I suppose
>you'd need to use Zortech or Microsoft under that environment.
>
>| You know, Allistair Banks of Microsoft has followed the comp.os2.* groups and
>| has been able to shed some real light on the mysteries.  Maybe someone from
>| Microsoft should spend some time in this news group?
>
>Somebody is.  We're listening.
>
>--
>Ben Goetter (microsoft!beng)

Although the details are sketchy it seems someone is trying to use Lanman's API in a
Windows environment.

Q: Can the .LIB or .DLL libraries supplied with Lanman 1.1 be used under a Windows
     environment?

I've tried using the NetWkstaSetUID function and Windows responds with a message
indicating that the application in not a Windows nor DOS application. Whats up?

The libraries are those supplied with 3COM's 3+OPEN.
Windows version is 3.0.
Compiling with MSC 6.0.
Any info would be greatly appreciated.

beng@microsoft.UUCP (Ben Goetter (beng, 1/2154, x68609)) (01/08/91)

In article <3441@gazette.bcm.tmc.edu> bsteiner@bcm.tmc.edu writes:

| Although the details are sketchy it seems someone is trying to use
| Lanman's API in a Windows environment.
|
| Q: Can the .LIB or .DLL libraries supplied with Lanman 1.1 be used
| under a Windows environment?
|
| I've tried using the NetWkstaSetUID function and Windows responds with
| a message indicating that the application in not a Windows nor DOS
| application. Whats up?

While I'm not familiar with the particular libs you're using, it sure
sounds like you're trying to link to an OS/2 DLL.  Unless 3Com did some
value-add there, the answer under 1.1 is No, those libs and dlls cannot
be used under Win; those dlls are for OS/2 only, while those libs are
either OS/2 import libs or else pure DOS libs incompatible with Win.

| The libraries are those supplied with 3COM's 3+OPEN.
| Windows version is 3.0.
| Compiling with MSC 6.0.

Lanman 1.1 predates Win 3.0.  In order to write a Windows app which calls
the Lanman APIs, you need to be using Lanman 2.0 or later.  Lanman 2.0
includes proper Win DLL versions of its APIs.

Ben Goetter
microsoft!beng