[comp.dcom.lans] Help with Vista terminal server

jgm@deakin.OZ.AU (John Moorfoot) (12/31/90)

We have several Datability (Vista) terminal servers with IP/LAT
firmware (V2.243) in an IP only network.

My problem is with getting the remote console facility to work.
The manual gives examples for LAT, (we still don't have the
manual for the current firmware) but try as I may, I can't get an
IP RCF connection. Every thing I try seems to give a Telnet
connection refused message.

The local distributor has not been much help - several mutters of
"The Datability guys showed us how to do this but I can't
remember what they did" and such like.

Has anybody else managed to get it working without burning a
couple of ports?
! John Moorfoot   Computing Services, Deakin University, Geelong, Victoria !
! E-Mail jgm@deakin.OZ.AU                                Phone 052 471 545 !

gotch@titan.trl.oz (Rob Gotch) (01/11/91)

In article <1038@sol.deakin.OZ.AU>, jgm@deakin.OZ.AU (John Moorfoot) writes:
> We have several Datability (Vista) terminal servers with IP/LAT
> firmware (V2.243) in an IP only network.
>
> My problem is with getting the remote console facility to work.
> The manual gives examples for LAT, (we still don't have the
> manual for the current firmware) but try as I may, I can't get an
> IP RCF connection. Every thing I try seems to give a Telnet
> connection refused message.

Hmm, I've just tried it on our Vistas and you're right, I can't Telnet
(using IP address) to any of them from an Ultrix host. We are running dual
protocol Vistas on a TCP and LAT network so we are using NCP from a VMS
host as a Remote Console Facility and, usually, don't have any need to
Telnet to the Vistas.

I don't any problem Telnetting to reverse Telnet services on our Vistas,
but I can't Telnet to the actual Vista. No problem pinging the Vista IP
address however.

> The local distributor has not been much help - several mutters of
> "The Datability guys showed us how to do this but I can't
> remember what they did" and such like.

Keep pressing your supplier to get an answer from Datability. We have
had a number of (mostly minor) difficulties, but have always managed to get
a response from Datability via the supplier (ADE) in the end.

> Has anybody else managed to get it working without burning a
> couple of ports?

One problem which we had recently, and which may be related to yours, was
when we were unable to connect to any reverse-Telnet service which had been
configured on our Vistas. We didn't really find a satisfactory answer to
this but the problem was fixed when we cleared the routing table on the
local Vista. Apparently, one of our Suns had been telling the Vista that it
was a gateway and connect request packets were being routed to this Sun and
then going nowhere.

Hope you find the fix. Let me know how you go, or if I can help in any way.

> John Moorfoot   Computing Services, Deakin University, Geelong, Victoria !

Rob.

Rob Gotch (r.gotch@trl.oz.au)  | And the son of God died, which is immediately
Financial & Computing Services | credible because it is absurd. And buried, he
Telecom Research Laboratories  | rose again, which is certain because it is
770 Blackburn Rd Clayton Vic   | impossible.         Tertullian 160 AD.

rich@pluto.dss.com (Rich Rupp) (01/12/91)

You can access the remote console by telnet'ing into TCP port 2048. You'll get
the '#' prompt for the maintenance password (the default one is in the manual).
You need NIC software 2.26x or later. Contact your reseller or support@dss.com
or myself if you need more help.

Richard L. Rupp                                           rich@pluto.dss.com
Datability Software Systems, Inc.            212 807 7800, Fax: 212 807 0958