[comp.dcom.lans] FDDI Verification Plan

rmcmahon@houvmscc.iinus1.ibm.com (01/17/91)

Does anyone know of any literature which exist giving a FDDI ring
verification plan?  What I am looking for is not necessarily a protocol
conformance, but more of a general discussion about how to verify that a
FDDI ring is operating properly.  Things like what happens if T_MIN of a
station is greater than T_NEG after the claim process?  Also maybe a
general plan to test the interoperations of the functions described in
the FDDI standards.

Thanks for any references,

Bob McMahon
rmcmahon@houvmscc.iinus1.ibm.com

my@dtg.nsc.com (Michael Yip) (01/17/91)

In article rmcmahon@houvmscc.iinus1.ibm.com writes:
>Does anyone know of any literature which exist giving a FDDI ring
>verification plan?  What I am looking for is not necessarily a protocol
>conformance, but more of a general discussion about how to verify that a
>FDDI ring is operating properly.  Things like what happens if T_MIN of a
>station is greater than T_NEG after the claim process?  Also maybe a
>general plan to test the interoperations of the functions described in
>the FDDI standards.

Bob,
	The ANSI FDDI committee is working on a set of conformance tests
for FDDI networks.  If I remember correctly, a draft was proposed.  (Well,
I did not attend that working group because I was in the fun one -- SMT!,
therefore, I might be wrong.)
	In addition to the ANSI, the Univ of New Hamspire(sp?) has a
FDDI Interoperability Test Suite.  I don't know what you can get from
them but I think that around 26 companies were involved and they went
through a series of tests last Dec.
	Last is the AMD ANTC test center.  I think that it is basically
an advertizing thing, so I don't think that they are doing much.
	Anyway, if you have a FDDI ring and stations running SMT 6.2,
you can probably run a FDDI network manager program to collect SMT
messages on the ring and find out what the status of the ring.  Also
just looking at the ring map and the number of Ring_Non_Op will tell
you if the ring is connected.

-- Mike
   my@berlioz.nsc.com