[comp.dcom.lans] PC NetBios API Wanted

ftpam1@acad3.alaska.edu (MUNTS PHILLIP A) (01/16/91)

In article <1991Jan16.012520.12994@svc.portal.com>, gundrum@svc.portal.com writes...
>Can anyone tell me where to find an application program interface (API)
>or even a full spec for NetBios (PC compatibles)? (I think I'm trying
>to talk to software interrupt 0x5C)?

There is supposedly a document titled "IBM PC Network Technical Reference".
Good luck getting a copy.  I spent about 3 months going around in circles with
the local IBM office trying to find one.  Still haven't seen it.

Philip Munts N7AHL
NRA Extremist, etc.
University of Alaska, Fairbanks

pierson@ketje.enet.dec.com (Jacques Pierson) (01/16/91)

In article <1991Jan16.040405.3429@ims.alaska.edu>, ftpam1@acad3.alaska.edu (MUNTS PHILLIP A) writes...
>In article <1991Jan16.012520.12994@svc.portal.com>, gundrum@svc.portal.com writes...
<text deleted>

There is an excellent book on NetBios :

	Network Programming in C
	Barry Nance
	QUE (if my memory serves)

Jacques

	pierson@ketje.enet.dec.com
		--or-- ...!decwrl!ketje.enet.dec.com!pierson
		--or-- pierson%ketje.dec@decwrl.dec.com

karl@lvs.Eng.Sun.COM (Karl Auerbach) (01/17/91)

Be careful about the netbios interrupt 0x5C interfaces.  There
are various different definitions and a reasonable number of
not particularly well documented characteristics (especially with
respect to recursion and stack usage.)

IBM added a couple of new NCB opcodes when they did the token
ring version.

I tend to use the IBM PC network technical reference as the bible.
I've also used documents from Sytek (now Hughes LAN systems) --
they were the originators of the netbios interface.

					--karl--

j_rodin@hpfcso.HP.COM (Jon Rodin) (01/17/91)

> I tend to use the IBM PC network technical reference as the bible.

Many other vendors (Novell for example) reference the IBM PC Network
Technical Reference as the definition of the NetBIOS int 5C interface.
It is the NetBIOS API least common denominator and therefore if you stick
with calls to this api you will have the most portable code.  Beware (as
Carl mentioned) that different vendors implement NetBIOS differently and
functionality across versions (for the basic API) may vary as will error
codes, etc.

The IBM PC Network Technical Reference is IBM part number 6322916.  It may,
however, have been replaced with a newer manual describing all of IBM's
various PC networking interfaces and hardware.

Jon

kevin@msa3b.UUCP (Kevin P. Kleinfelter) (01/18/91)

ftpam1@acad3.alaska.edu (MUNTS PHILLIP A) writes:

>In article <1991Jan16.012520.12994@svc.portal.com>, gundrum@svc.portal.com writes...
>>Can anyone tell me where to find an application program interface (API)
>>or even a full spec for NetBios (PC compatibles)? (I think I'm trying
>>to talk to software interrupt 0x5C)?

>There is supposedly a document titled "IBM PC Network Technical Reference".
>Good luck getting a copy.  I spent about 3 months going around in circles with
>the local IBM office trying to find one.  Still haven't seen it.

Try "C Programmer's Guide to NetBIOS" by Schwaderer, published by
Howard W. Sams & Co., ISBM 0-672-22638-3.  It is not perfect, but you should
be able to get your local bookstore to get it for you in a week or two
if they do not have it in stock.  Price is $26.95 (or was when I bought
mine). Be warned that the sample code may have a bug or two.  For example,
I seem to recall that one sample program calls "int86x without assigning
values to "segregs".

I also see "to order directly from the publisher, call 800-428-SAMS. In
Indiana, Alaska, and Hawaii call 317-298-5699," printed inside.

--
Kevin Kleinfelter @ Dun and Bradstreet Software, Inc (404) 239-2347
{emory,gatech}!nanovx!msa3b!kevin

Look closely at the return address.  It is nanovx and NOT nanovAx.