[comp.dcom.lans] short aui cables

hunnic@uncecs.edu (Jeff Hunnicutt) (01/18/91)

Hello everyone,

I have aquestion concerning aui cables. What is the shortest length
one can be? Is it possible to build a one foot cable and have it work?
I trying to connect two DELNI's and since on will sit on the other I
don't need a ten foot cable in the way. Any advice would be greatly
aappreciated. Please email replies to: hunnicutt@vxc.uncwil.edu
Thanks.
--
Jeff Hunnicutt, UNC-Wilmington/Information Systems (919) 395-3096
Wilmington, NC 28403

koning@koning.enet.dec.com (Paul Koning) (01/19/91)

|>I have aquestion concerning aui cables. What is the shortest length
|>one can be? Is it possible to build a one foot cable and have it work?
|>I trying to connect two DELNI's and since on will sit on the other I
|>don't need a ten foot cable in the way. Any advice would be greatly
|>aappreciated. Please email replies to: hunnicutt@vxc.uncwil.edu
|>Thanks.
|>--
|>Jeff Hunnicutt, UNC-Wilmington/Information Systems (919) 395-3096
|>Wilmington, NC 28403
|>hunnicu@uncw.uucp  hunnicutt@vxc.uncwil.edu hunnicutt@uncwil.bitnet
|>                      "Make It So!..."

The shortest legal length is zero.

	paul

jgm@deakin.OZ.AU (John Moorfoot) (01/21/91)

In article <1991Jan18.144733.15076@uncecs.edu> hunnic@uncecs.edu (Jeff Hunnicutt) writes:
>I have aquestion concerning aui cables. What is the shortest length
>one can be? Is it possible to build a one foot cable and have it work?

For short AUI cables, I use ribbon cable and crimp D connectors,
and have not seen any problem with cables from 10cm to over 1m in
length.
! John Moorfoot   Computing Services, Deakin University, Geelong, Victoria !
! E-Mail jgm@deakin.OZ.AU                                Phone 052 471 545 !