[comp.dcom.lans] Banyan <-> TCP/IP

claman@csc-sun.mckinsey.com (Larry Claman) (01/18/91)

Our company is in the planning stages of connecting a SUN network to a Banyan
network via ethernet.  Both systems currently reside on the same ethernet
segment.  We are currently investigating the possibility of using a TCP/IP
connection.  In-house support for TCP/IP is relatively extensive on the SUN side
and minimal on the Banyan portion.  Although this type of connection is
supported at various levels by both vendors, functionality seems to be the major
issue.  We would like to achieve the following:

	1.	Printer sharing
			- print from Sun to Banyan printers & vice-versa
	2.	File access
			- Can you FTP files in both directions?
			- Can Banyan PCs mount the Sun's file system (via NFS)?
			- Could the Sun have access to the Banyan file system?
	3. 	Ability for Sun stations to access our IBM mainframe via Banyan's
		SNA communication gateway.
	4.	Dial-in through Banyan modem pool to run sessions on the
		SUN stations.
			- Can you telnet, ftp, etc while dialed in?
			- Can you mount the Sun's file system via NFS while
			  dialed in?
	5. 	Mail integration
			- Is there a Banyan / SMTP mail gateway?
			- What does the Email gateway do to binary attachments?

We would greatly appreciate any insight or suggestions that you can share
regarding inter-connection of these two systems.  In particular, information on
the level of integration to expect, the steps necessary to install this type of
connection, or suggested products to accomplish the above 5 goals.

If there is interest, I will summarize & post the responses.

	Larry Claman
	McKinsey & Co, Cambridge Systems Center
	claman@csc.mckinsey.com

cornutt@freedom.msfc.nasa.gov (David Cornutt) (01/23/91)

jabusch@osiris.cso.uiuc.edu (John Jabusch) writes:

>1.  lpd on the Sun only accepts trusted hosts (in /etc/hosts.equiv),
This is a bit off of the subjet, but I believe SunOS 4.0 and later support
the use of /etc/hosts.lpd .  Try putting your list of accecptable
host names for printing in there; that way, you don't have to open
your system up to unrestricted remote logins in hosts.equiv .

--
David Cornutt, New Technology Inc., Huntsville, AL  (205) 461-6457
(cornutt@freedom.msfc.nasa.gov; some insane route applies)

jbreeden@netcom.UUCP (John Breeden) (01/23/91)

In article <1991Jan22.103619.12547@cs.eur.nl> evas@cs.eur.nl (Eelco van Asperen) writes:
>jabusch@osiris.cso.uiuc.edu (John Jabusch) writes:
>>claman@csc-sun.mckinsey.com (Larry Claman) writes:
>>>Our company is in the planning stages of connecting a SUN network to a Banyan
>>>network via ethernet.
>>In order to do any of the following, you will need FTP Software's PC/TCP
>>software, with the Banyan driver set.
>
>Unfortunately, PC/TCP stores configuration-info in device-driver files on
>the PC's. This includes the pc's internet-number. This is just annoying
>for a few pc's but a real disaster for more than just a few pc's (>100).
>Support for NIS (aka YP (tm)) or BOOTP would help a lot.

BOOTP is supported (it's called BOOTP.EXE :-)

--
 John Robert Breeden,
 netcom!jbreeden@apple.com, apple!netcom!jbreeden, ATTMAIL:!jbreeden