[comp.dcom.lans] Novell and TCP/IP concurrently?

mju@mudos.ann-arbor.mi.us (Marc Unangst) (01/19/91)

I'm trying to set something up on our Novell network so that the
MS-DOS workstations, which are on the same Ethernet as the TCP/IP Unix
machine, will be able to access the Unix machine and the Novell
network at the same time.  The software should be transparent to the
user, should not require the user to type in special commands to
access Novell and/or TCP/IP, and should preferably be PD or freeware.
I'd also like the capability to use a package such as KA9Q or NCSA
Telnet for the TCP/IP access, and not be locked into one company's
software.  The package would also have to support the WD 8003E card
and the Everex Speedlink/PC card, or support a packet driver interface
that would allow us to install drivers for those cards.

I recently obtained the Clarkson packet drivers and the package from
BYU that allows you to build a packet-driver-aware IPX.COM, because
they seemed to be the answer.  Everything looks fairly interesting,
but there seems to be one hitch -- the BYU package requires that you
reconfigure your Novell server to use Ethernet II packets, rather than
the 802.3-style packets that we're using now.  You also have to
reconfigure all of your workstation shells.  Some questions:

	* Why do you have to do this?  Why can't you run TCP/IP and
	Netware concurrently with Netware using 802.3 packets?

	* Will an 802.3 server and an Ethernet II server coexist on
	the same Ethernet?  Could you put two Ethernet cards into a
	single server, one configured for 802.3 and one for Ethernet
	II?

	* Is there another package out there that allows you to use
	TCP/IP and Novell concurrently, but doesn't require that you
	reconfigure your server and all your shells for Ethernet II?

	* How do 802.3 and Ethernet II differ, anyway?

Thanks in advance for all the helpful advice you're going to give me...

--
Marc Unangst               |
mju@mudos.ann-arbor.mi.us  | "Bus error: passengers dumped"

johnm@vaxc.cc.monash.edu.au (01/23/91)

In article <1TPZV4w164w@mudos.ann-arbor.mi.us>, (Marc Unangst) writes:
> I'm trying to set something up on our Novell network so that the
> MS-DOS workstations, which are on the same Ethernet as the TCP/IP Unix
> machine, will be able to access the Unix machine and the Novell
> network at the same time.  ...

> I recently obtained the Clarkson packet drivers and the package from
> BYU that allows you to build a packet-driver-aware IPX.COM, because
> they seemed to be the answer.  Everything looks fairly interesting,
> but there seems to be one hitch -- the BYU package requires that you
> reconfigure your Novell server to use Ethernet II packets, rather than
> the 802.3-style packets that we're using now.  ...

The answer is to use the -n option on the Packet Driver.
This is "mentioned" in DRIVERS.DOC and PROMBOOT.NOT.

When using the -n option, the Packet Driver will convert IPX packets
between the Ethernet II type 8137 encapsulation used by BYU's PDSHELL
IPX interface code and the 802.3-style encapsulation normally used on
Ethernet by Netware servers, shells and boot ROMs.  Doing this removes
the need to ECONFIG your Netware servers and shells.

	John
--
John Mann, Leader - Networking Section  | johnm@vaxc.cc.monash.edu.au
Computer Centre, Monash University      | phone: +61 3 565 4774