[comp.dcom.lans] Mainframe I/O channel <--> PC/UNIX/LAN

ericsm@well.sf.ca.us (Eric Smith) (01/24/91)

Our application requires file tranfers between Unix LANs and IBM
mainframes.  We use the mainframe I/O channel connected directly to a
card or box.  (Our older installations use a box and the newer ones use
a card.)  The boxes and cards are KMW/Auscom.  They make versions of
the card to plug into different kinds of computers on the LAN, and all
of them connect to the mainframe I/O channel.  For example, one version
plugs into a VME Bus, which we have in some of our Unix computers, and
another plugs into a PC/AT bus.  The box version connects the I/O
channel directly to Ethernet, but is no longer supported.  (It contains
an LSI-11 inside the box.)

Does anyone reading this know if there is a better solution to this?  I
want to find alternatives to KMW/Auscom, just so we can compare
products and see if we are getting the most cost effective.  We want to
keep using the direct connection to the mainframe I/O channel, because
we don't want to change the mainframe software, but we are willing to
change the Unix and/or PC software.

py@meadow.uucp (Peter Yeung) (01/27/91)

In article <22860@well.sf.ca.us> ericsm@well.sf.ca.us (Eric Smith) writes:

>Does anyone reading this know if there is a better solution to this?  I
>want to find alternatives to KMW/Auscom, just so we can compare
>products and see if we are getting the most cost effective.  We want to
>keep using the direct connection to the mainframe I/O channel, because
>we don't want to change the mainframe software, but we are willing to
>change the Unix and/or PC software.

The most efficient way is getting a channel attach to the mainframe,
although it can be an expensive solution.

An alternative is to get a token ring card and connect to the 3174 controller
(assuming you have more recent controllers with token ring built-in).
AT&T sells a SNA/LINK package that can handle that. The bonus is that you
can also access the mainframe from your ascii terminal. The draw back is
that the package is using IND$FILE for file transfer which runs like a pig
(we have timed it running at an effective rate of ~1000 bit/sec at an 56Kb
attach). The same package can also handle remote connection through lease
line or modem if you use an intellegent serial card instead of a token ring
adaptor. You do not any special software on the mainframe except IND$FILE
which is rather standard on most system supporting file transfer (particularly
mainframe to PC).

I also heard of ethernet TCP/IP type connections. They are basically an
(overpriced, IMHO) UNIX box one end connecting to the mainframe
(typically channel attach) and another end connect to ethernet.
However, these are usually very expensive solutions (expensive box and
expensive mainfame software).
--
Peter Yeung     Amdahl Canada Ltd., Software Development Center
                2000 Argentia Road, Plaza 2, Suite 300