[comp.dcom.lans] BANYAN VINES & NICs

idrcmon@ax.UUCP (01/26/91)

FROM: Maria noel Irazoqui
idrcmon

REF: LAN & ETHERNET NICs

1) Are Novell Ethernet NICs suitable for a Banyan Vines LAN?

2) Can I do internal bridges in a Banyan vines Server?
If possible, haw many (maximum) cards can I put?

mikes@banyan.UUCP (Mike Skrzypczak@Eng@Banyan) (01/28/91)

> FROM: Maria noel Irazoqui
> idrcmon

> REF: LAN & ETHERNET NICs

> 1) Are Novell Ethernet NICs suitable for a Banyan Vines LAN?

> 2) Can I do internal bridges in a Banyan vines Server?
> If possible, haw many (maximum) cards can I put?

1. Novell NE1000 and NE2000 are supported in VINES/386, VINES for the CNS, and
on the DOS Client for VINES in VINES Revision 4.00(2).

2. If you mean routing, (which is called bridging by novell) yes. You can
generally put as many lan cards as you can fit in your server(s).
VINES also can act as a token ring source routing bridge (at the same time
as it is acting as a router).

Mike Skrzypczak
Banyan Systems Inc.

dah@zoot.avgrp.cr.rok.com (Dave Haverkamp) (01/28/91)

In article <1167600001@ax> idrcmon@ax.UUCP writes:

>FROM: Maria noel Irazoqui
>idrcmon
>
>REF: LAN & ETHERNET NICs
>
>1) Are Novell Ethernet NICs suitable for a Banyan Vines LAN?
>
>2) Can I do internal bridges in a Banyan vines Server?
>If possible, haw many (maximum) cards can I put?

  We never used Novell Ethernet cards with Banyan.  Chances are pretty
good that Banyan supports them.  Check in the configuration software for
the current supported Network cards.  ( We use 3COM Ethernet, and SMC or
Thomas Conrad ARCNET.)  You should be able to have 4 network connections
in each fileserver.  Each card can be different.  ICA boards don't affect
this limitation unless you are doing WAN connections. ( You should check
the current documentation on ICA boards on this point.)  We also used some
old NESTAR ARCNET boards with Banyan, at least in the old 4.77 MHz PCs.
Thankfully most of them have been fased out.  To many people would get an
new faster PC and try running the old network board in it. ( Not with very good
luck in most cases.)
David A. Haverkamp                    Collins Commercial Avionics Division
                                      Rockwell International   MS 124-211
INTERNET: dah@zoot.avgrp.cr.rok.com   Cedar Rapids, Iowa 52498