[comp.dcom.lans] Concurrent Novell and TCP over Token Ring

adykes@jpradley.jpr.com (Al Dykes) (01/27/91)

> A week or so ago, I asked the net whether or not it was possible to
> run TCP/IP and Novell concurrently under MS-DOS, using the same
> Ethernet board and cable.  The answer is yes.  To do so, you will need
> a packet driver for your Ethernet board and the version of IPX that
> uses the packet drivers, plus TCP/IP software for MS-DOS.

    .... Details deleted.....

> --
>  Marc Unangst               |
> mju@mudos.ann-arbor.mi.us  | "Bus error: passengers dumped"
>  ...!umich!leebai!mudos!mju |

Thanks for the summary.

What about running dual protocols if the PCs have Token Ring cards ?

Does anyone ahave any advice and/or experience.

----------------
Al Dykes
adykes@jpr.com

fks@vaxeline.COM (Frances Selkirk) (01/29/91)

In article <1991Jan27.041646.29699@cs.columbia.edu> sen@hudson.columbia.edu (Soumitra Sengupta) writes:

>Yes, using the same packet drivers, you can run TCP/IP and IPX at the
>same time on TR cards (at least the IBM ones).  You have to watch out

Or you can simplify things tremendously by getting a TCP/IP package
that has an interface to to IBM ASI drivers (tokreui, pro4ruei, etc.).
Our PC/TCP will coexist with Netware for IBM ASI drivers without
further additional software. I don't know what other TCP/IP packages
run over the IBM ASI drivers, but some of them must.  Wollongong, last
I heard, didn't. I think Beame and Whiteside does, but I can't find
explicit references. I don't know about Sun or any of the others...
More information, anybody?
--

Frances Kirk Selkirk		 info@ftp.com	           (617) 246-0900
FTP Software, Inc.		 26 Princess Street, Wakefield, MA  01880