[comp.dcom.lans] laserwriter on 3com 3+ 3server

klefstad@ux1.cso.uiuc.edu (Sue Klefstad) (01/23/91)

We attached a laserwriter to our 3Server3 running 3+ ver. 1.6.
It will print out 2 or 4 pages (depending on the size of the print
spooler buffer) then die with a postscript error.

The printer is connected with a four-wire serial cable with
TD, RD, and GND connected.  It is a 9600 baud printer set to
XON/XOFF and has 2MB RAM.

When I've run into this problem with a laserwriter connected to a PC,
the retry parameter of the DOS MODE command fixed things, but
unfortunately the Retry Count here doesn't apply to 3Servers,
only PC Servers.  Any hints would be appreciated.

SPECIFICS:
3+Share Network Printer Configuration Ver. 1.6:
Configure as a network printer?  Y
Post Script                      Y
Eject a page between jobs?       N
Translate IBM to Laserjet        0
Form Type                        1
Print banners?                   N
Baud rate                        9600
Parity                           no parity
Protocol type                    XON/XOFF
Retry count                      99
Buffer size                      8192
Interrupt level                  0

PostScript error returned:
%%[ Error: ioerror; OffendingCommand: 0.0 ]%%
%%[ Error: undefined; OffendingCommand: s ]%%

--
-- Sue
Sue Klefstad    Ill. Natural History Survey    klefstad@uiuc.edu

martya@cpl-mfh.UUCP (Martin Adelman) (02/02/91)

***
*** In article <1991Jan23.152300.15805@ux1.cso.uiuc.edu>,
*** klefstad@ux1.cso.uiuc.edu (Sue Klefstad) writes:
***

>We attached a laserwriter to our 3Server3 running 3+ ver. 1.6.
>It will print out 2 or 4 pages (depending on the size of the print
>spooler buffer) then die with a postscript error.
>
>Sue Klefstad    Ill. Natural History Survey    klefstad@uiuc.edu

I have the same problem, but I use the combination hardware and software
setting for 3 share and have what I feel are the appropriate lines connected
I would appreciate any information you get on solving this problem.  I am
also having a problem getting a 3 server to support Mac's, it has an
internal appletalk connector but my macs cannot get on after the Mac software
is installed.  I have a 386 I use as a server and have not had the problem
there, but I can't get a postscript printer to run off of the PC server
right.

Does anyone have these configurations operating and if so what did you do to get it to work.

Thanks in advance.

Marty Adelman
cpl-mfh!martya@acsu.buffalo.edu
acsu.buffalo.edu!cpl-mfh!martya