[comp.dcom.lans] Xircom has worst performance in PC Magazine tests

The Xircom Pocket LAN Adapter had the worst performance of three pocket
lan adapters in a PC Magazine review, published in the February 12, 1991
issue.

	Adapter		mbps
	p.LAN		1.1
	D-Link		1.07
	Xircom		0.95

Please don't buy Xircom products.  They used some of my software in
violation of its copyright.  Write for details...

--
--russ (nelson@clutx [.bitnet | .clarkson.edu])  FAX 315-268-7600
It's better to get mugged than to live a life of fear -- Freeman Dyson

dana@locus.com (Dana H. Myers) (01/24/91)

In article <NELSON.91Jan21132425@sun.clarkson.edu> nelson@clutx.clarkson.edu (aka NELSON@CLUTX.BITNET) writes:
>The Xircom Pocket LAN Adapter had the worst performance of three pocket
>lan adapters in a PC Magazine review, published in the February 12, 1991
>issue.
>
>	Adapter		mbps
>	p.LAN		1.1
>	D-Link		1.07
>	Xircom		0.95
>
>Please don't buy Xircom products.  They used some of my software in
>violation of its copyright.  Write for details...

  While Russ may have a beef with Xircom over software copyright,
the performance of the Xircom adapter is within 85% of the best in this
comparison. I wouldn't call this bad performance.

--
 * Dana H. Myers KK6JQ 		| Views expressed here are	*
 * (213) 337-5136 		| mine and do not necessarily	*

mckimg@bronze.ucs.indiana.edu (Geoffrey McKim) (01/29/91)

In article <1991Jan24.003038.2853452@locus.com> dana@locus.com (Dana H. Myers) writes:
>In article <NELSON.91Jan21132425@sun.clarkson.edu> nelson@clutx.clarkson.edu (aka NELSON@CLUTX.BITNET) writes:
>>The Xircom Pocket LAN Adapter had the worst performance of three pocket
>>lan adapters in a PC Magazine review, published in the February 12, 1991
>>issue.
>>
>>	Adapter		mbps
>>	p.LAN		1.1
>>	D-Link		1.07
>>	Xircom		0.95
>>
>>Please don't buy Xircom products.  They used some of my software in
>>violation of its copyright.  Write for details...
>
>  While Russ may have a beef with Xircom over software copyright,
>the performance of the Xircom adapter is within 85% of the best in this
>comparison. I wouldn't call this bad performance.

First of all, Russ said that it had the "worst" performance, which indeed
is a true statement, no matter how you look at it.  Second of all, I
hope that most of us will hold solidarity with Russ on this one -- there
are countless of us out here who are grateful for his packet drivers, and
wouldn't consider buying from a company that violated his generous
copyrights.

Geoffrey W. McKim			Internet: mckimg@ucs.indiana.edu
UCS Networks/LAN Group			BITNET: mckimg@iuamber
Indiana University Bloomington
855-4643

GOLDSTN@MAINE.BITNET (Michael E. Goldstein) (01/31/91)

I bought my Xircom adaptor a few weeks before I read Russ's
complaint.  Now, a wave of guilt rolls over me every time
I take my laptop out of its bag and hook it up.  Is there
a LAN-confessional around here somewhere?......

M. Goldstein

ian@unipalm.uucp (Ian Phillipps) (02/04/91)

GOLDSTN@MAINE.BITNET (Michael E. Goldstein) writes:

>I bought my Xircom adaptor a few weeks before I read Russ's
>complaint.  Now, a wave of guilt rolls over me every time
>I take my laptop out of its bag and hook it up.  Is there
>a LAN-confessional around here somewhere?......

No, but Xircom have a new packet driver, claimed to be unrelated to Russell's.
Ask them for one.