[comp.dcom.lans] Pocket LAN adapters

mju@mudos.ann-arbor.mi.us (Marc Unangst) (02/09/91)

We have a laptop computer that we'd like to connect to our Ethernet when
it's at the office.  Since adding an expansion slot to the laptop is
not practical, the natural solution seems to be a pocket LAN adapter
that attaches to the parallel port.  The only one I've heard of is Xircom's,
and unfortunately, it doesn't fulfill our requirement for packet-driver
support based on the v7.0 packet driver core code.  (The reason we need
v7.0 packet drivers is that we're running 802.3-based Novell and Ethernet
II-based TCP/IP on the same wire and on the same machines, using BYU
IPX.  The laptop needs concurrent Novell and TCP/IP access, and I'd like
to do it the same way I did it on the other machines.)  Suggestions for
pocket LAN adapters, as well as suggestions for ones to stay away from,
are greatly appreciated.

--
Marc Unangst                | "I think I have a bad disk.  Even though I
mju@mudos.ann-arbor.mi.us   |  folded it to fit into my drive, it still

In article <1991Feb8.202427.1779@mudos.ann-arbor.mi.us> mju@mudos.ann-arbor.mi.us (Marc Unangst) writes:

   Suggestions for pocket LAN adapters, as well as suggestions for
   ones to stay away from, are greatly appreciated.

I'm not happy with Xircom; I think everybody knows why (if you don't,
send me email).

There are alternatives to their products, made by D-Link.  D-Link's
products are cheaper, and there is a packet driver for the DE-600
thinwire adapter (at least).  I have found D-Link to be a very
responsive company.  For example, they supply a sticker for their
internal adapters that explains the jumper positions.  This is
unusual, and very handy.

USA			UK			International
D-Link Systems, Inc	D-Link (U.K.) Ltd.	Datex Systems, Inc.
5 Musick		23A lyttelton Rd	15-4, FL
Irvine, CA  92718	London, N2 0DN		No. 1, Fu Hsing North Rd.
USA			UK			Taipei, Taiwan, R.O.C.

--
--russ <nelson@clutx.clarkson.edu> Humble Quaker, and damned proud of it.
It's better to get mugged than to live a life of fear -- Freeman Dyson

jbreeden@netcom.COM (John Breeden) (02/10/91)

In article <NELSON.91Feb8224512@sun.clarkson.edu> nelson@clutx.clarkson.edu (aka NELSON@CLUTX.BITNET) writes:
>In article <1991Feb8.202427.1779@mudos.ann-arbor.mi.us> mju@mudos.ann-arbor.mi.us (Marc Unangst) writes:
>
>   Suggestions for pocket LAN adapters, as well as suggestions for
>   ones to stay away from, are greatly appreciated.
>

>There are alternatives to their products, made by D-Link.  D-Link's
>products are cheaper, and there is a packet driver for the DE-600
>thinwire adapter (at least).  I have found D-Link to be a very

They also now (finally) have an NDIS driver.

--
 John Robert Breeden,
    jbreeden@netcom.com, apple!netcom!jbreeden, ATTMAIL:!jbreeden