[comp.dcom.lans] FDDI Performance

rkimble@nswc-wo.navy.mil (Robert Kimble) (02/02/91)

Has anybody out there measured throughput performance for file transfers
over FDDI?  If so, please post a reply with the following information:
1.  The manufacturer and model of:  the two computers involved in the file
    transfer, the network interface cards used, the networking softare
    used.
2.  The size of the file and the average throughput (in bytes/sec) for the
    file transfer.

Any information will be appreciated.

				Robert Kimble
				rkimble@nswc-wo.navy.mil

mohta@necom830.cc.titech.ac.jp (Masataka Ohta) (02/04/91)

In article <1991Feb1.175751.13639@relay.nswc.navy.mil>
	rkimble@nswc-wo.navy.mil.UUCP (Robert Kimble) writes:

>Has anybody out there measured throughput performance for file transfers
>over FDDI?  If so, please post a reply with the following information:

We are connecting two RC6280s (60MHz R6000) with FDDI.

The FDDI system is of CMC. Software version is of 6-Nov-90.

>2.  The size of the file and the average throughput (in bytes/sec) for the
>    file transfer.

ttcp (default setting) showed 10Mbps TCP and 40Mbps UDP speed.

NFS speed is about 1MB/sec for writing and 2MB/sec for reading.

						Masataka Ohta

vjs@rhyolite.wpd.sgi.com (Vernon Schryver) (02/05/91)

In article <7178@titcce.cc.titech.ac.jp>, mohta@necom830.cc.titech.ac.jp (Masataka Ohta) writes:

> >2.  The size of the file and the average throughput (in bytes/sec) for the
> >    file transfer.
>
> ttcp (default setting) showed 10Mbps TCP and 40Mbps UDP speed.
>
> NFS speed is about 1MB/sec for writing and 2MB/sec for reading.

How was NFS speed measured?  Nfsstone or one of the other benchmarks?
What, if any, compensation for client and server cache policies and mechanisms
was there?

Is the UDP speed quoted above the value reported by the transimitter or by
the receiver?  The natures of ttcp and UDP are such it is easy to have the
transmitter produce very high values and the receiver as close to 0 as you
wish.  The value reported by the receiving UDP ttcp is often much lower
than the value reported by the transmitter.

Standard UNIX BSD-style drivers (which I suspect are being reported above)
discard output packets when the output queue gets too far full.  In other
words, the ttcp user-process may think and report that its data has been
transmitted but in reality much of the data never made it as far as fiber.
This point is often missed or ignored; I continue to repeat the story of
the Ethernet board vendor who tried to sell me his boards by saying his Sun
"blast" driver could transmit 12Mbits/sec UDP/IP/Ethernet.

To make the receive side of ttcp as close to zero as you want, use a very
fast transmitter (say something that transmitts >30Mbit/sec), and a
receiver that is very much slower.  For example, use a very old, slow Sun 3
and a new, fast Sun 4 transmitter.  If the speed difference is high enough,
you may be able to keep the receiver so busy handling input interrupts and
DMA that the receiving ttcp process never has an opportunity to run, until
after th transmitter stops.  The result can be that receiver reports
receiving one socket-buffer-size worth of data out of many MByte
transmitted.

Vernon Schryver,   vjs@sgi.com

mohta@necom830.cc.titech.ac.jp (Masataka Ohta) (02/06/91)

In article <83979@sgi.sgi.com>
	vjs@rhyolite.wpd.sgi.com (Vernon Schryver) writes:

>> NFS speed is about 1MB/sec for writing and 2MB/sec for reading.

>How was NFS speed measured?  Nfsstone or one of the other benchmarks?

Just read/write large files.

>What, if any, compensation for client and server cache policies and mechanisms
>was there?

For reading, the read file is completely in the buffer cache at the
server, but the client could have no cache because the read file is
created on the server and new to the client.

For writing, according to the NFS specification, writing must be somewhat
synchronous, so forget about caching.

>Is the UDP speed quoted above the value reported by the transimitter or by
>the receiver?

Of course, 40Mbps is observed on both side. I know what is UDP.

I can understand that the figure has astonished you. But, please,
don't assume I am an idiot and make a rather lengthy post. You could
have used mail.

Also, you should have considered more and should have noticed that
2MB/sec (equivalent to 16Mbps) NFS read speed support my observation
of UDP speed.

By the way, I also performed nhfsstone with varying load from 10 to 210.

nhfsstone -l 10: 490 sec 5022 calls 10.24 calls/sec 7.49 msec/call
nhfsstone -l 20: 245 sec 5019 calls 20.48 calls/sec 7.13 msec/call
nhfsstone -l 30: 163 sec 5043 calls 30.93 calls/sec 8.03 msec/call
nhfsstone -l 40: 123 sec 5025 calls 40.85 calls/sec 8.72 msec/call
nhfsstone -l 50: 99 sec 5017 calls 50.67 calls/sec 9.03 msec/call
nhfsstone -l 60: 81 sec 5033 calls 62.13 calls/sec 11.64 msec/call
nhfsstone -l 70: 70 sec 5022 calls 71.74 calls/sec 11.55 msec/call
nhfsstone -l 80: 61 sec 5011 calls 82.14 calls/sec 11.14 msec/call
nhfsstone -l 90: 54 sec 5011 calls 92.79 calls/sec 11.98 msec/call
nhfsstone -l 100: 49 sec 5016 calls 102.36 calls/sec 13.52 msec/call
nhfsstone -l 110: 44 sec 5032 calls 114.36 calls/sec 14.48 msec/call
nhfsstone -l 120: 41 sec 5016 calls 122.34 calls/sec 17.43 msec/call
nhfsstone -l 130: 37 sec 5012 calls 135.45 calls/sec 18.22 msec/call
nhfsstone -l 140: 35 sec 5020 calls 143.42 calls/sec 25.37 msec/call
nhfsstone -l 150: 34 sec 5019 calls 147.61 calls/sec 27.23 msec/call
nhfsstone -l 160: 30 sec 5021 calls 167.36 calls/sec 20.57 msec/call
nhfsstone -l 170: 29 sec 5019 calls 173.06 calls/sec 22.51 msec/call
nhfsstone -l 180: 27 sec 5005 calls 185.37 calls/sec 24.42 msec/call
nhfsstone -l 190: 26 sec 5001 calls 192.34 calls/sec 29.98 msec/call
nhfsstone -l 200: 26 sec 5001 calls 192.34 calls/sec 32.91 msec/call
nhfsstone -l 210: 26 sec 5008 calls 192.61 calls/sec 34.59 msec/call

						Masataka Ohta

vjs@rhyolite.wpd.sgi.com (Vernon Schryver) (02/08/91)

In article <7185@titcce.cc.titech.ac.jp>, mohta@necom830.cc.titech.ac.jp (Masataka Ohta) writes:
> For writing, according to the NFS specification, writing must be somewhat
> synchronous, so forget about caching.

There is controversy on this subject.  At least two system vendors and at
least one add-in-hardware vendor offer optional server cache mechanisms.

> >Is the UDP speed quoted above the value reported by the transimitter or by
> >the receiver?
>
> Of course, 40Mbps is observed on both side. I know what is UDP.
>
> I can understand that the figure has astonished you. But, please,
> don't assume I am an idiot and make a rather lengthy post. You could
> have used mail.

The reported numbers are respectable, but far from "astonishing."
I know of more than one independent implementation that gets several times
the ttcp TCP value.  The NFS value of 1-2 MByte or 8-16 Mbit sounds like the
systems are disk limited.  The 40Mbit ttcp UDP value is excellent, but not
unheard of.  I'll guess that the low 10Mbit TCP value, esp. compared to the
40Mbit UDP value, is caused by using a small window or MSS.  The latter can
occur with routers (not the fault of the routers, of course.).

Observing the same value on transmitter and receiver is surprising.  It
suggests that the tested implementation is transmitter limited.  That is
surprising given MIPS style caching.  (Measurements in such a realm is a
popular pastime around here.)

Please accept my appologies if my previous message implied I consider you
an "idiot."  I do not know you well enough to have any opinion on your
competance.  It is a fact that many people paid to work on this stuff do
not understand UDP, not to mention TCP.  The development mangers and VP
from the ethernet board maker with the 12Mbit/sec UDP/ether performance
that I wrote about previously were not joking and not idiots.  They were
trying for a long term contract with a major workstation maker.

Vernon Schryver,  vjs@sgi.com

mohta@necom830.cc.titech.ac.jp (Masataka Ohta) (02/08/91)

In article <84440@sgi.sgi.com>
	vjs@rhyolite.wpd.sgi.com (Vernon Schryver) writes:

>At least two system vendors and at
>least one add-in-hardware vendor offer optional server cache mechanisms.

Sorry, I forgot to mention them, obviously because we are not using them. :-)

>> Of course, 40Mbps is observed on both side.

>The reported numbers are respectable, but far from "astonishing."

Maybe. But, FDDI is only 100Mbps. With the early versions of software,
it is difficult to fully extract the interface speed. So, 40Mbps today
may mean that FDDI will soon be saturated if the device driver is a
little more tuned.

We just began to move toward FDDI, so the figure is at least menacing,
if not astonishing.

>I know of more than one independent implementation that gets several times
>the ttcp TCP value.

Would you post more detailed information about them?

>The NFS value of 1-2 MByte or 8-16 Mbit sounds like the
>systems are disk limited.

As for read performance of 2MB/sec, the read file is fully buffer cached
(I assume you know what is buffer cache). So, there can be no disk limit.
With 40Mbps UDP speed, 16Mbps NFS read seems to be fairly reasonable
figure, dosen't it?

>I'll guess that the low 10Mbit TCP value, esp. compared to the
>40Mbit UDP value,

Surely.

>is caused by using a small window or MSS.

May be or may not be. The only thing I know is the default buffer
size of ttcp is 8KB.

						Masataka Ohta

vjs@rhyolite.wpd.sgi.com (Vernon Schryver) (02/12/91)

In article <7200@titcce.cc.titech.ac.jp>, mohta@necom830.cc.titech.ac.jp (Masataka Ohta) writes:

> We just began to move toward FDDI, so the figure is at least menacing,
> if not astonishing.

Agreed.  FDDI is only about 10x ethernet.  There are commercially available
multi-homed UNIX computers and file servers whose aggregate ethernet load
would menance a single FDDI ring.  I've long been whining about that.

More recently, I've begun to realize that 100Mb is not so bad.  100Mb is
too slow for backbones connecting many 10Mb or 100Mb LANs.  However, there
seem to be few applications for Gb networks, except to interconnect LAN's.
At a recent meeting of high speed network developers, the gov. offered
funding for non-backbone applications, but had no takers.  Just as there is
an upper bound on the useful speed of graphics, there may be an upper bound
on the useful speed of a LAN, at least for the next few years.

> >I know of more than one independent implementation that gets several times
> >the ttcp TCP value.
> Would you post more detailed information about them?

I try to overcome the tempation to brag about my numbers in public,
non-commercial forums like this; the SGI sales organization has them.
I've been told first hand of simple ttcp TCP values >=30Mb.  To my
knowledge, those other numbers have not been published, so I can't provide
attributions.  A long time ago I've heard rumors of >=40Mb from a respected
developer, but the hardware he was probably using has been conspicuously
absent from the market.  A workstation company and a FDDI board maker are
advertising 25Mb, but each gets that by somehow running two simultaneous
ttcp's on one machine to two other machines.  Those values are hard to
evaluate without knowing how the multiple ttcp's were synchronized, but
neither vendor says.  A mainframe maker and its customers have a version of
ttcp that does several simultaneous TCP transfers.  The numbers from that
benchmark are believable, but give different information than the familiar
ttcp number.

> >The NFS value of 1-2 MByte or 8-16 Mbit sounds like the
> >systems are disk limited.
>
> As for read performance of 2MB/sec, the read file is fully buffer cached
> (I assume you know what is buffer cache). So, there can be no disk limit.
> With 40Mbps UDP speed, 16Mbps NFS read seems to be fairly reasonable
> figure, dosen't it?

It seems respectable.  How does the same benchmark run locally on the
server?  That would help determine where the 40Mb/16Mb=2.5x difference is.

> >I'll guess that the low 10Mbit TCP value, esp. compared to the
> >40Mbit UDP value,
> >is caused by using a small window or MSS.
>
> May be or may not be. The only thing I know is the default buffer
> size of ttcp is 8KB.

Current versions of ttcp allow changing the window with -b.  If the
TCP implementation has the 4.3+ fixes, then a multiple of 4096 >= 48K
might be much higher.

Vernon Schryver,   vjs@sgi.com

mohta@necom830.cc.titech.ac.jp (Masataka Ohta) (02/13/91)

In article <84864@sgi.sgi.com>
	vjs@rhyolite.wpd.sgi.com (Vernon Schryver) writes:

>Just as there is
>an upper bound on the useful speed of graphics, there may be an upper bound
>on the useful speed of a LAN, at least for the next few years.

Surely there is an upper bound on thhe useful speed of graphics. Data
transfer rate of usual color workstation is about 200Mbytes/sec. So,
1Gbytes/sec network is perhaps enough for near-realtime image transfer.

>At a recent meeting of high speed network developers, the gov. offered
>funding for non-backbone applications, but had no takers.

Perhaps, "high speed network" is not fast enough for realtime image transfer.

As for file transfer, there is no theoretical upper bound because of
buffer caching and disk striping.

						Masataka Ohta