[comp.dcom.lans] 3COM woes

morgan@jessica.stanford.edu (RL "Bob" Morgan) (01/08/91)

Well, continuing along the line of 3Com troubles, I'll just call to
everyone's attention the article from InfoWorld, 12/24-31/90, entitled
"3Com Bails Out of LAN Manager Boat, Turns Product Sales Over to
Microsoft."  The article is a little unlcear, as the spin 3Com people
put on the shift is "reducing customer confusion," but it sounds like
they're giving up on 3+Open.  Eric Benhamou, 3Com president, is quoted
as saying "Applications is a world we're going to leave to other
people."  For those of us who have worked with their stuff going back
to EtherSeries (ca. 1985, or was it '84?), it's kind of the end of an
era . . .

 - RL "Bob" Morgan
   Networking Systems
   Stanford

andchan@ccu.umanitoba.ca (Andrew Chan) (01/15/91)

Just to add a little bit of fuel to this....

We have a 3 Com B2000 bridge/router and it does NOT work.  It will
work for a few minutes after reset and then keep doing ARP for a broadcast
address.

ethernet monitor:

ARP received from router.chem.umanitoba.ca for 130.179.19.255

They agreed to take it back but suggested us to do more tracing first.
I have the feeling that we are forced to debug/beta-test their firmware...

mbt@bridge2.ESD.3Com.COM (Brad Turner) (01/17/91)

andchan@ccu.umanitoba.ca (Andrew Chan) writes:
>Just to add a little bit of fuel to this....

>We have a 3 Com B2000 bridge/router and it does NOT work.  It will
>work for a few minutes after reset and then keep doing ARP for a broadcast
>address.

>ethernet monitor:

>ARP received from router.chem.umanitoba.ca for 130.179.19.255

>They agreed to take it back but suggested us to do more tracing first.
>I have the feeling that we are forced to debug/beta-test their firmware...

      <sorry for the wide distribution, but email bounced>

Andrew,
   If you could please provide me with a few more details regarding your
configuration, topology, and software version I'll try to help find out
what the problem is. I look forward to hearing from you.

-brad-

P.S. Our firmware only provides basic services for the software to
     use. In the BR/2000 ARP is a function of the system software
     not the firmware.
--
v^v^v^v^v^v^v^v^v^v^v^v^v^v^v^v^v^v^v^v^v^v^v^v^v^v^v^v^v^v^v^v^v^v^v^v^v^v^v^v
Brad Turner |5400 Bayfront Plaza |Mktg.Engr.(408) 764-5261| I speak for myself

patrick@theseus.ccsd.uts.edu.au (Patrick Herlihy) (02/14/91)

andchan@ccu.umanitoba.ca (Andrew Chan) writes:

>We have a 3 Com B2000 bridge/router and it does NOT work.  It will
>work for a few minutes after reset and then keep doing ARP for a broadcast
>address.
>ethernet monitor:
>ARP received from router.chem.umanitoba.ca for 130.179.19.255
>They agreed to take it back but suggested us to do more tracing first.
>I have the feeling that we are forced to debug/beta-test their firmware...

We are also having a problem with a 3Com Brouter... it occasionally refuses
to forward IP packets & stops broadcasting RIP.  The bridge still works ok.
It rectifies itself after about 2-3 minutes & forwards IP and broadcasts
RIP again.  No amount of fiddling with obscure bridge/IP options seems to
have permanently fixed it.

It seems to have settled down at the moment, but at one stage it was failing
every twenty minutes.

--
 _--_|\   Patrick John Herlihy,                        patrick@ccsd.uts.EDU.AU
/      \  Computing & Communications Services Division,     Ph: +61 2 218 9424