[comp.dcom.lans] WD8003E ROM option / Booting from the net

evas@cs.eur.nl (Eelco van Asperen) (02/08/91)

Hi,

I'm looking for info on the ROM option available on the Western Digital
WD8003E Ethernet cards and the possibilities of booting pc's from a
network server. We're a TCP/IP and (PC-)NFS shop here so Novell boot ROM's
are not that interesting ;-). Given the specs, we should be able to
code it ourselves if necessary; we're already using a bootp implementation
for the pc to get some configuration info from our NFS server.

I tried to call the WD bbs number but that was no longer in use and
the same goes for the fax number mentioned in their documentation.

If other Ethernet boards for XT's (! :-() are better suited, I'd like
to know.

Any info will be highly appreciated and I'll summarise if enough people
are interested.

--
Eelco van Asperen.       uucp: evas@cs.eur.nl   || asperen@hroeur5.bitnet
Erasmus University Rotterdam, The Netherlands   || no claims - no disclaimers

iiitih@cybaswan.UUCP (Ivan Izikowitz) (02/11/91)

In article <1991Feb8.143904.26633@cs.eur.nl> evas@cs.eur.nl (Eelco van Asperen) writes:
>Hi,
>
>I'm looking for info on the ROM option available on the Western Digital
>WD8003E Ethernet cards and the possibilities of booting pc's from a
>network server. We're a TCP/IP and (PC-)NFS shop here so Novell boot ROM's

We have a number of these 8003eb boards but our supplier here in the UK
said that Western Digital have discontinued this board.

  Can anyone verify this ?

  Ivan

jgm@deakin.OZ.AU (John Moorfoot) (02/13/91)

In article <1991Feb8.143904.26633@cs.eur.nl> evas@cs.eur.nl (Eelco van Asperen) writes:
>Hi,
>
>I'm looking for info on the ROM option available on the Western Digital
>WD8003E Ethernet cards and the possibilities of booting pc's from a
>network server. We're a TCP/IP and (PC-)NFS shop here so Novell boot ROM's
>are not that interesting ;-). Given the specs, we should be able to
>code it ourselves if necessary; we're already using a bootp implementation
>for the pc to get some configuration info from our NFS server.

Dirk Koppen (dirk@incom.de) has a BOOT ROM available that will do
what you want. It uses bootp and tftp to load a bootable disk
image into a RAM disk. We are using it and it works well - in
fact we are just about to convert all our PC laboratories over to
this method.
! John Moorfoot   Computing Services, Deakin University, Geelong, Victoria !
! E-Mail jgm@deakin.OZ.AU                                Phone 052 471 545 !

leo@unipalm.uucp (E.J. Leoni-Smith) (02/14/91)

iiitih@cybaswan.UUCP (Ivan Izikowitz) writes:

>In article <1991Feb8.143904.26633@cs.eur.nl> evas@cs.eur.nl (Eelco van Asperen) writes:
>>Hi,
>>
>>I'm looking for info on the ROM option available on the Western Digital
>>WD8003E Ethernet cards and the possibilities of booting pc's from a
>>network server. We're a TCP/IP and (PC-)NFS shop here so Novell boot ROM's

>We have a number of these 8003eb boards but our supplier here in the UK
>said that Western Digital have discontinued this board.

>  Can anyone verify this ?

>  Ivan

Both the very old (jumper selectable) WD8003 with ROM socket, and the later
WD8003BE with ROM socket have been replaced by the (compatible) Elite range
These are either software programmable or jumper selectable (a few options
supported only). Initial impressions are that they are a real advance on their
predecessors, whilst maintaining compatibility with them.

For full story - contact Western Digital.