[comp.dcom.lans] OSI lans and TCP/IP

gottsc@citrus.citr.uq.oz.au (John Gottschalk) (02/14/91)

Hello,
	I have a question about OSI and Internet lower layer protocols.
I am not too familiar with these so it may be a naive question, but here
it is anyway.

	The question is: is it possible to run TCP/IP and OSI
connectionless protocols over the same wire, where the MAC sublayer
(an 802.3 network) is common to both, and the OSI protocols use TP4,
CLNP and 802.2 LLC?

	More generally, is it always possible to run different network
protocols over the same wire if the MAC sublayer is identical event
though the full set of data-link protocols differ?

			-- thanks in advance, John Gottschalk

     John Gottschalk (gottsc@citrus.uq.oz)
     Center for Information Technology Research,
     University of Queensland, St Lucia, 4072,
     Queensland, Australia,
     +61 7 365 4321 (phone), +61 7 371 3044 (fax)

huston@prime.com (Steve Huston) (02/16/91)

gottsc@citrus.citr.uq.oz.au (John Gottschalk) writes:

>	The question is: is it possible to run TCP/IP and OSI
>connectionless protocols over the same wire, where the MAC sublayer
>(an 802.3 network) is common to both, and the OSI protocols use TP4,
>CLNP and 802.2 LLC?

>	More generally, is it always possible to run different network
>protocols over the same wire if the MAC sublayer is identical event
>though the full set of data-link protocols differ?

     Yes to both questions - part of the 802.3/Ethernet header
     identifies which next-higher protocol gets the packet.

Steve Huston                     Prime Computer, Inc.
huston@relay.prime.com           +1 508 620 2800 ext 3099