[comp.dcom.lans] More questions regarding the LAN

gdrao@enuxha.eas.asu.edu (Giridhar Rao) (02/17/91)

Hi netters,

I have some more questions regarding the token ring ( IEEE 802.5 ). I wish to
thank those guys who responded to my previous queries.

	Does a station in a token ring regenerate the token immediately
	after the last bit in the frame is sent  OR does it generate a
	new token until its frame has gone all the way around and come
	back ? What does the IEEE 802.5 follow ?

	What consequences arise if the destination station removes the
	frame instead  of the sender ? The IEEE 802.5 standard says that
	sender removes the frame ? Any advantages in that ? Isn't it a
	lot of overhead ?

Thanks a lot,

Giri.

= Giridhar Rao				Voice	602-966-0005		      =
= Computer Science Department		Email	gdrao@enuxha.eas.asu.edu      =

franka@hpctdlb.HP.COM (Frank Actis) (02/22/91)

>  From: gdrao@enuxha.eas.asu.edu (Giridhar Rao)
>  Subject: More questions regarding the LAN
>
>  Hi netters,
>
>  I have some more questions regarding the token ring ( IEEE 802.5 ). I wish to
>  thank those guys who responded to my previous queries.
>
>  	Does a station in a token ring regenerate the token immediately
>  	after the last bit in the frame is sent  OR does it generate a
>  	new token until its frame has gone all the way around and come
>  	back ? What does the IEEE 802.5 follow ?

This question has two different answers, depending on what you have.
Normally, a station will wait until the frame that it has transmitted comes
around the ring before the token is generated.

There is a feature called "early token release" which allows the
station to generate a token as soon as the frame has been transmitted.
With early token release, it is possible for several tokens to be on the
LAN at once.

>  	What consequences arise if the destination station removes the
>  	frame instead  of the sender ? The IEEE 802.5 standard says that
>  	sender removes the frame ? Any advantages in that ? Isn't it a
>  	lot of overhead ?

The method of the sending station removing his (or her) own frames
is a simple method of making sure that the destination system received the
frame properly and that the ring is working.  If the destination (or anyone
else for that matter) were to remove the frame before it came back to
the sender, the sender would never regenerate the token, causing the
active monitor to purge the ring and send out a new token.

The sending station knows that the frame has been received by looking at
a couple of bits on the frame that has been set by the destination system.
These bits are the "address recognized" (I saw the frame sent to me) and
the "frame copied" (I was able to pull the frame off the LAN and into my
buffers) which tell the sender if the remote station is up and that it
received the frame.

One thing to keep in mind is that most rings are small enough that the sending
station will start receiving its frame while it is still sending it so stations
using early token release rarely get to send an early token.

Frank Actis
Hewlett-Packard
franka@hpctdlb.hp.com

mitton@dave.enet.dec.com (Dave Mitton) (02/26/91)

>From: franka@hpctdlb.HP.COM (Frank Actis)
>Newsgroups: comp.dcom.lans
>Subject: Re: More questions regarding the LAN
>Date: 21 Feb 91 23:50:56 GMT

>>  From: gdrao@enuxha.eas.asu.edu (Giridhar Rao)
>>  Subject: More questions regarding the LAN
>>  	What consequences arise if the destination station removes the
>>  	frame instead  of the sender ? The IEEE 802.5 standard says that
>>  	sender removes the frame ? Any advantages in that ? Isn't it a
>>  	lot of overhead ?
>The sending station knows that the frame has been received by looking at
>a couple of bits on the frame that has been set by the destination system.
>These bits are the "address recognized" (I saw the frame sent to me) and
>the "frame copied" (I was able to pull the frame off the LAN and into my
>buffers) which tell the sender if the remote station is up and that it
>received the frame.
>Frank Actis

Frank, part your answer is some what misleading.
An 802.5 Token Ring transmitting station strips his own packet based on
recognizing his own source address and knowing his outstanding transmitted
packet count. The ARI and FCI bits in the Frame Status field are not used
for anything other than status information and retransmission at the MAC
level.  Note that they are outside of CRC and Code Violation protection
and can easily be undetected garbage.

An 802.5 station can send multiple packets on the wire until the Token Holding
Timer (THT) expires (however the TI chip set does not allow this).  After every
transmit, a counter is incremented, which causes the receiver to watch for
the incoming packet with its source address and strip it.  With Early Token
Release (ETR) that may not be the next packet.  If the packet does not arrive
within Timer, Return to Repeat (TRR) then the frame is declared lost, an error.

To the original question, the questioner should consider how broadcast,
multicast, and bridging were to work in such a network where the dest node
stripped the frame.  Also, what if the node was not present?  All these cases
are handled with source node stripping.

	Dave Mitton, Consultant Engineer, Token Ring Program
	Digital Equipment Corp

lstowell@pyrnova.pyramid.com (Lon Stowell) (02/26/91)

In article <20513@shlump.nac.dec.com> mitton@dave.enet.dec.com (Dave Mitton) writes:

>Frank, part your answer is some what misleading.
>An 802.5 Token Ring transmitting station strips his own packet based on
>recognizing his own source address and knowing his outstanding transmitted
>packet count. The ARI and FCI bits in the Frame Status field are not used
>for anything other than status information and retransmission at the MAC
>level.  Note that they are outside of CRC and Code Violation protection
>and can easily be undetected garbage.

    Although true, this is also somewhat misleading....the AR
    and FC bits are part of a byte which is repeated in the
    Frame Status Field,,,so there is SOME protection against
    garbage....you would have to alter both bits twice whilst
    leaving the reserved 'oo' bits unaltered to produce that
    misleading of a result....not to likely IMHO.

    The bits ARE used by the MAC layer to see if other stations
    do exist and whether or not the frame was actually copied by
    the other station.   Some LLC implementations use them..as
    they are available on demand from the adapter....

    These bits will actually prevent ring insertion and/or cause
    Beaconing if they are corrupted in such a way that they
    appear invalid with no other (Code violations, FCS errors)
    in the stripped frame.

>An 802.5 station can send multiple packets on the wire until the Token Holding
>Timer (THT) expires (however the TI chip set does not allow this).  After every
>transmit, a counter is incremented, which causes the receiver to watch for
>the incoming packet with its source address and strip it.  With Early Token
>Release (ETR) that may not be the next packet.  If the packet does not arrive
>within Timer, Return to Repeat (TRR) then the frame is declared lost, an error.

   Could you cite the ISO 8802.5 or CCITT 802.5 paragraphs
   allowing multiple frames (at 4 Mbit)...or any conforming
   implementation that does so?   One would think that any IBM
   or TI chipset on the ring would take offense if it tried to
   xmit two frames without an intervening Token....

   ETR is strictly a 16 Mbit feature in all the documents i
   have....

>To the original question, the questioner should consider how broadcast,
>multicast, and bridging were to work in such a network where the dest node
>stripped the frame.  Also, what if the node was not present?  All these cases
>are handled with source node stripping.

     These functions could in order be handled by the Active
     Monitor (broadcast, multicast), the Bridge or Router (for
     bridging), or the Active Monitor (or even sender) for "no
     destination" type situations...

     You would have MORE problems with Duplicate Address
     Recognition, Neighbor Notification (somewhat obscure here),
     and fault isolation (the specific failure when you know
     there is someone else on the ring, but they can't set the
     bits correctly...)

     This is where I must differ on the use of the AR and FCI
     bits fairly strongly....they are part of the fundamental
     ring mechanisms for finding Active Monitors, noting whether
     or not the destination is present and has or has not
     "copied" a xmitted frame.  Without these two bits you would
     have needed an Ack sequence at the MAC layer....overhead
     these two avoid.

     While on the subject, the EDI bit is outside the Code
     Violation and FCS fields...it also is not protected by
     duplication.   I'll agree that an erroneous SETTING would
     be harmless, but how about CLEARING this....unless you
     believe that the odds of good Code Violation, CRC, but
     clearing only this bit are slim....

>	Dave Mitton, Consultant Engineer, Token Ring Program
>	Digital Equipment Corp

chw@hpctdlb.HP.COM (Charlie Whiteside) (02/27/91)

 These are very interesting discussions! I don't understand something
here though:

>     This is where I must differ on the use of the AR and FCI
>     bits fairly strongly....they are part of the fundamental
>     ring mechanisms for finding Active Monitors, noting whether
>     or not the destination is present and has or has not
>     "copied" a xmitted frame.  Without these two bits you would
>     have needed an Ack sequence at the MAC layer....overhead
>     these two avoid.

I thought the FCI (I'm assuming this means the Frame Copy bits in
the Frame Status Byte) had nothing to do with the Active Monitory
present. Isn't the AC (Access Control xxxTMxxx) byte the one which
sets the Monitor bit to alert of two active monitors?

Charlie

lstowell@pyrnova.pyramid.com (Lon Stowell) (02/27/91)

In article <31710003@hpctdlb.HP.COM> chw@hpctdlb.HP.COM (Charlie Whiteside) writes:

> These are very interesting discussions! I don't understand something
>here though:
>

>>     This is where I must differ on the use of the AR and FCI
>>     bits fairly strongly....they are part of the fundamental
>>     ring mechanisms for finding Active Monitors, noting whether
>>     or not the destination is present and has or has not
>>     "copied" a xmitted frame.  Without these two bits you would
>>     have needed an Ack sequence at the MAC layer....overhead
>>     these two avoid.
>
>I thought the FCI (I'm assuming this means the Frame Copy bits in
>the Frame Status Byte) had nothing to do with the Active Monitory
>present. Isn't the AC (Access Control xxxTMxxx) byte the one which
>sets the Monitor bit to alert of two active monitors?

    This is what I get for an incomplete posting.   The
    processes i referred to are for discovering whether or not
    there is ANYONE else on the ring...and therefore YOU must
    become the Active Monitor whether or not your local system
    has told you not to.

    The process is actually part of the Insert, Ring Poll, and
    Neighbor Notification...all of which use the Active Monitor
    Present and Standby Monitor Present frames.....the xmitting
    station just makes a quick check of the AR, FCI bits to see
    whether or not there is other intelligent life on the LAN,
    and if so, who is there.

    The Access Control field is used only by the Active
    Monitor...it sets the bit the first time the frame passes.
    If any Active Monitor sees this bit set in a passing frame
    it knows that either the xmitter of the frame is unable to
    strip properly OR that there is another Active Monitor...and
    that either an error (can't strip) or monitor contention is
    required.

    The flags are used in different portions of monitor
    detection and selection.  Active Monitors tend to become
    upset when seeing AMP frames on the ring without THEIR
    address as source.

mitton@dave.enet.dec.com (Dave Mitton) (02/27/91)

>From: lstowell@pyrnova.pyramid.com (Lon Stowell)
>Newsgroups: comp.dcom.lans
>Subject: Re: More questions regarding the LAN
>Date: 26 Feb 91 03:06:05 GMT

>    The bits ARE used by the MAC layer to see if other stations
>    do exist and whether or not the frame was actually copied by
>    the other station.   Some LLC implementations use them..as
>    they are available on demand from the adapter....
>
>    These bits will actually prevent ring insertion and/or cause
>    Beaconing if they are corrupted in such a way that they
>    appear invalid with no other (Code violations, FCS errors)
>    in the stripped frame.

	While it is defined at the MAC level how A&C bits are used,
	it is not defined for use at the LLC level.  Any protocol that
	expects to be used in a Bridged environment should not use them.
	At the last 802.5 meeting, the IBM representative agreed that
	this should be clarified and a paper should be issued on this
	subject.

>   Could you cite the ISO 8802.5 or CCITT 802.5 paragraphs
>   allowing multiple frames (at 4 Mbit)...or any conforming
>   implementation that does so?   One would think that any IBM
>   or TI chipset on the ring would take offense if it tried to
>   xmit two frames without an intervening Token....

	No problem: IEEE 802.5-1989, page 53, Fig 4-3, and text section
	4.2.2.2, page 55. quote:

STATE T1: TX_DATA_FR (Transmit Data Frame(s)).  While in this state, the
station transmits one or more frames.  ... <priority and reservation
exceptions>... The foregoing does not imply that the ability to transmit
multiple frames while in this state is mandatory.

	Existence of implementation is not my issue.  Notice that I originally
	noted that the TI chip set cannot do this.  IBM does not have
	to either.  But if it cannot receive them, then it is out of
	conformance with the standard.

>   ETR is strictly a 16 Mbit feature in all the documents i
>   have....

	That is my understanding from IBM documents.  But I cannot find
	that in the IEEE standard.  Again, this could be explained as
	an implementation issue.  (or I am not looking in the right place)
	I'm not sure that an ETR station needs the other stations to do
	anything different on the wire.  It just releases the token sooner.

	I was wrong in my previous response, on 802.5 the next frame you
	recv (if a Beaconing or Contention doesn't start) should be your
	own, even for ETR.

	Dave Mitton.