[comp.dcom.lans] Fiber Optic Jumper Cables

dan@lclark.UUCP (Dan Revel) (03/01/91)

Why are 62.5/125 micron duplex zipcords with ST connectors so
darned expensive?  Prices locally range from ~$75 to ~$100 for
a 2 meter cable.

Just wondering...

Dan
--
dan@lclark.bitnet					SM 0 A9F4
tektronix!reed!lclark!dan				G 0

merike@alw.nih.gov (Merike Kaeo) (03/03/91)

You're basically paying for someone to terminate the ends for you...... 4
ST connector themselves run around $8 - $10 a piece.....the rest is labor cost.
We literally use hundreds of jumpers here and have started using our contractor
to make jumper cables from fiber left over from cable pulls.  The price of
connectors also falls quite significantly in bulk quantities.

If you get into FDDI, don't be surprised at the $160 - $200 price tag for
jumper cables......termination of the MIC connectors requires more
expertise.....we still buy these.

Merike Kaeo

haas%basset.utah.edu@cs.utah.edu (Walt Haas) (03/03/91)

In article <1068@lclark.UUCP> dan@lclark.UUCP (Dan Revel) writes:
>Why are 62.5/125 micron duplex zipcords with ST connectors so
>darned expensive?  Prices locally range from ~$75 to ~$100 for
>a 2 meter cable.

Where can you get a two meter cable for $75?!  Are they reliable?

ST connector parts run about $15/connector, and the labor to install
one probably around $15 or so.  Duplex fiber cable is maybe a buck a foot.

-- Walt