[comp.dcom.lans] Does such a "box" exist?

jwabik@uc.msc.umn.edu (Jeff Wabik) (02/19/91)

We're in the process of redesigning our internal networks, and plan
re-think and re-implement how we do Ethernet and FDDI.  In our most
recent version of the design, we want to do the following to our FDDI
network:

   Assume we have 4 machines (AA,BB,CC, and DD), each in a corner of a
   machine room.

   Normally, we might want to wire [sic] the room like this:
   ( = is the fiber ring )

	+-------------------------------+
	| AA=========================BB |
	|  =                         =  |
	|  =                         =  |
	|  =                         =  |
	|  =                         =  |
	|  =                         =  |
	|  =                         =  |
	|  =                         =  |
	|  =                         =  |
	| CC=========================DD |
	+-------------------------------+

   For any number of reasons (which I'll share, if you care and ask),
   we do not want to lay fiber in this manner, but would rather buy
   some sort of "concentrator" box to "star" our ring.  The box itself
   would have "n" fiber ports, would operate equivalently to a normal
   patch panel..  When a fiber pair is connected to a port, that pair
   becomes part of the ring..    When disconnected, the ring is still
   kept intact internaly.

   If I remember my ancient history, IBM has sold boxes like this for
   their token ring network for years..  It seems reasonable that such
   a box should exist for FDDI, although I have no idea if the switching
   should be optical or electrical..  (i.e.  I'm a software guy.)

If such a box exists, I'd appreciating learning about it..

Thanks!

	-Jeff

--
Jeff Wabik				E/Mail:	 jwabik@msc.edu
Minnesota Supercomputer Center 		AT&T:    +1 612 626 0211

vjs@rhyolite.wpd.sgi.com (Vernon Schryver) (02/19/91)

There are FDDI "concentrators" which connect one or more stations to the
dual ring.  Most FDDI concentrators should be thought of as complete
FDDI stations which also have electrical switches that connect additional,
"slave" optical cables in series with the concentrator's own hardware on
the dual ring.

Whether you use concentrators or not, it is good to connect FDDI machines
in a star, with all fibers connected to a patch panel.  A patch panel
allows easy, manual reconfiguration, and costs little more when expensive
FDDI electronics are considered.  All of the big fiber vendors make MIC
(FDDI) patch panels.

Ignoring patch panels and nonstandard topologies, there are 3 main ways to
connect FDDI stations:
    1. single or dual attach stations with concentrators.
    2. dual attach with optical bypass switches.
    3. dual attach without switches.

Method 1 is most robust, but most expensive with lower potential performance.
  Concentrators require more optical equipement and electronics per station
  than other solutions.  Optical bypass switches and the ODL (electrical-
  to-optical hardware) are currently the most expensive FDDI parts.
  A concentrator typically costs 0.25 more ODL's/station but saves 1.0 to
  0.75 optical bypasses/station.  (If you need robustness, you need
  bypasses on the A/B ports of your concentrators.  4-port concentrators
  seem to be popular.)

  Using concentrators limits you <100Mbit/sec.  There is hope of using
  dual-MAC-dual-attach FDDI stations to get >100Mb.  (The birthday
  paradox ensures the 2nd ring is almost always available for data.)

Method 2 is almost as robust as 1, except that only a limited number of
  consecutive stations can be "bypassed" with switches.  (When the power
  goes off or the station is reset, the switch passively drops into the
  "bypassed" state.)  With short cable runs and newer switches, this is
  often not a problem.  Switches are not cheap; they're mechanical devices.

Method 3 is fine in a computer room where the operators can run over
  to the patch panel when the mainframe field engineers want to take down a
  system.  It is problematic elsewhere.

Most people and all FDDI concentrator vendors and central computer facility
managers say that concentrators are the only way to go.  They note
concentrators allow multiple stations to be powered off without breaking
the ring.  (Since FDDI is a dual-ring, any single station can be powered
off without breaking the ring, regardless of concentrators or bypasses.)

A surprising number of people do not know what a concentrator does.  They
claim an FDDI concentrator can somehow isolate the ring from a misbehaving
station.  This is false.  All FDDI frames pass through all active FDDI
stations.  The ring is not in any way protected from bogus frames by
concentrators.  A concentrator can isolate stations that cannot do "CMT
signalling," but famous trade shows have demonstrated that is not a
problem.  The infamous trade show problems have been frame problems, and
were not affected by concentrators, or, in one case I know of, were caused
by bugs in the concentrators themselves.

Vernon Schryver,  vjs@sgi.com

jbreeden@netcom.COM (John Breeden) (02/19/91)

In article <3517@uc.msc.umn.edu> you write:

>   For any number of reasons (which I'll share, if you care and ask),
>   we do not want to lay fiber in this manner, but would rather buy
>   some sort of "concentrator" box to "star" our ring.  The box itself
>   would have "n" fiber ports, would operate equivalently to a normal
>   patch panel..  When a fiber pair is connected to a port, that pair
>   becomes part of the ring..    When disconnected, the ring is still
>   kept intact internaly.
>
>If such a box exists, I'd appreciating learning about it..

You just discribed AT&T's FDDI Concentrator. It does exactly what you discribe
above. It's a 19" rack mountable card cage, able to hold 4 cards with 4 FDDI
ports per card.

Contact AT&T Computer Systems for more detail.

--
 John Robert Breeden,
    jbreeden@netcom.com, apple!netcom!jbreeden, ATTMAIL:!jbreeden

vjs@rhyolite.wpd.sgi.com (Vernon Schryver) (02/20/91)

In article <24647@netcom.COM>, jbreeden@netcom.COM (John Breeden) writes:

>You just discribed AT&T's FDDI Concentrator. It does exactly what you discribe
> above. It's a 19" rack mountable card cage, able to hold 4 cards with 4 FDDI
> ports per card.

As far as I can tell, there are far more currently available brands of FDDI
concentrators than FDDI stations.  It's crazy, since no one can do anything
useful with a concentrator by itself.

The boxes all look similar.  Some have more or less room for expansion.
Some are slightly more or less expensive.  None are cheap today--they're
talking about thousands of dollars/port.  I don't think concentrators make
sense for most uses; most people disagree with me.

The vast majority of the current FDDI Concentrator makers will be doing
something else soon.  Their market does not have room for much added value,
and so will soon, if not already, be a "commodity market" with terrible
margins.  Those with deep pockets will be able to stay as long as they
choose.

The number of FDDI board makers is even stranger than the number of
concentrator vendors.  Everyone and their uncle has decided to start making
(generally) very similar products, using nearly identical components, with
very high non-recurring engineering costs, and with astronomical
manufacturing and test costs.  Lemmings are wierd.

Vernon Schryver,   vjs@sgi.com

sblair@upurbmw.dell.com (Steve Blair) (02/20/91)

SynOptics Communications also I believe has such a box. Their
number is 800-776-8023, and ask for telemarketing....

not an employee of SynOptics, but used to be......now just a
happy customer.....

--
Steve Blair	DELL	UNIX	DIVISION sblair@upurbmw.dell.com

koning@koning.enet.dec.com (Paul Koning) (03/05/91)

|>   For any number of reasons (which I'll share, if you care and ask),
|>   we do not want to lay fiber in this manner, but would rather buy
|>   some sort of "concentrator" box to "star" our ring.  The box itself
|>   would have "n" fiber ports, would operate equivalently to a normal
|>   patch panel..  When a fiber pair is connected to a port, that pair
|>   becomes part of the ring..    When disconnected, the ring is still
|>   kept intact internaly.
|>
|>   If I remember my ancient history, IBM has sold boxes like this for
|>   their token ring network for years..  It seems reasonable that such
|>   a box should exist for FDDI, although I have no idea if the switching
|>   should be optical or electrical..  (i.e.  I'm a software guy.)
|>

|>If such a box exists, I'd appreciating learning about it..
|>
|>Thanks!
|>

|>	-Jeff

It sure does.  It's called a "concentrator" (surprise!).  You can get
it from several vendors.  I'll plug ours: the DECconcentrator-500, available
in a variety of configurations (port counts, port types, media types).

	paul