[comp.dcom.lans] Novell 3.11 with TCP/IP

marka@dsinet (Mark Anacker) (02/22/91)

Hi,
  In a recent issue of Network World, there was an announcement that the
latest version of NetWare 386 (3.11) will have full TCP/IP support,
including NFS to the server.  We are in the process of designing a 50-node
or so PC network into our existing TCP/IP Unix net, so this news was
greeted with a great deal of excitement (and a generous portion of
skepticism).

  Assuming they can pull it off (and deliver next month), we'll probably
go with them.  Does anybody out there have any information of this version
of NetWare that they are allowed to share?  I don't want you to break any
agreements, but we need to make some decisions here soon and I would like
to get any input I can.

Thanks.

--
Mark Anacker				...{!dsinet,!toybox}!marka
Digital Systems International, Inc.	Redmond, WA   USA    (206) 881-7544

jbreeden@netcom.COM (John Breeden) (02/23/91)

In article <499@elroy> marka@dsinet (Mark Anacker) writes:
>Hi,
>  In a recent issue of Network World, there was an announcement that the
>latest version of NetWare 386 (3.11) will have full TCP/IP support,
>including NFS to the server.  We are in the process of designing a 50-node
>or so PC network into our existing TCP/IP Unix net, so this news was
>greeted with a great deal of excitement (and a generous portion of
>skepticism).

The only "gotcha" I've seen so far is with the NFS part. It seems you can
NFS mount a Netware volume onto a Unix box but you cannot NFS mount a Unix
filesystem onto the Netware box (ie: I can mount Netware onto my Sun, but I
can't mount my Sun onto the Netware server and make it available to my Net-
ware PCs).

The other question is: If I implement 3.11's "IPX encapsulated in TCP-IP",
do I have to mantain the TCP-IP/IPX routing tables by hand?

--
 John Robert Breeden,
    jbreeden@netcom.com, apple!netcom!jbreeden, ATTMAIL:!jbreeden

brian@ca.excelan.com (Brian Meek) (03/06/91)

The News Manager)
Date: Wed, 27 Feb 1991 20:34:39 GMT

In article <25188@netcom.COM> jbreeden@netcom.COM (John Breeden) writes:
>In article <499@elroy> marka@dsinet (Mark Anacker) writes:
>>Hi,
>>  In a recent issue of Network World, there was an announcement that the
>>latest version of NetWare 386 (3.11) will have full TCP/IP support,
>>including NFS to the server.  We are in the process of designing a 50-node
>>or so PC network into our existing TCP/IP Unix net, so this news was
>>greeted with a great deal of excitement (and a generous portion of
>>skepticism).
>>

>The only "gotcha" I've seen so far is with the NFS part. It seems you can
>NFS mount a Netware volume onto a Unix box but you cannot NFS mount a Unix
>filesystem onto the Netware box (ie: I can mount Netware onto my Sun, but I
>can't mount my Sun onto the Netware server and make it available to my Net-
>ware PCs).

This ability is an intrinsic feature of Portable NetWare implementations
for systems that also support NFS.  Providing the integrated name-space
support for DOS, OS/2 (HPFS), MacOS, FTAM and UNIX on remotely mounted
NFS volumes from NetWare v3.11 is not a trivial task...  It can be done,
but since there are numerous options available, it was not considered
critical for the first release.  The goal of NetWare NFS is to meet UNIX
clients on there own terms, making NetWare appear as a really fast UNIX
system.

>The other question is: If I implement 3.11's "IPX encapsulated in TCP-IP",
>do I have to maintain the TCP-IP/IPX routing tables by hand?

Yes.  The encapsulation driver needs to be told which IP addresses should
receive UDP unicast packets (containing the IPX datagram), in lieu of
IPX broadcasts.  To IPX, the IP internet appears as a single "virtual"
IPX network.  Not a panacea for running NetWare Core Protocols via TCP/IP,
but a useful first step.  The important thing is that the tunneling
is transparent to all existing applications that expect to see an SPX/IPX
protocol stack and API.

brian
         Brian Meek       Novell, Inc. - 2180 Fortune Dr. San Jose, CA 95131
Internet Mail: brian@novell.COM                        Phone: (408) 473-8375