[comp.dcom.lans] 10baseT->ThinWire MAU recommendations

leonard@telcom.arizona.edu (Aaron Leonard) (02/28/91)

We're looking for recommendations for 10baseT->ThinWire MAUs.
You know, the gizmos that have a 10baseT RJ45 jack on one side,
which connects up to a 10baseT concentrator, and a ThinWire BNC
on the other side, which can support some number of ThinWire
stations on a 10base2 segment.

We have been using Fibermux FX6693Z's, but haven't found them
to be too reliable.  Has anyone found a ThinWire MAU that they
really like?

Thanks in advance,

Aaron

Aaron Leonard (AL104), <Leonard@Arizona.EDU>
University of Arizona Telecommunications, Tucson AZ 85721

cmilono@netcom.COM (Carlo Milono) (03/03/91)

In article <1991Feb27.152330.450@arizona.edu> Leonard@Arizona.EDU writes:
>We're looking for recommendations for 10baseT->ThinWire MAUs.
>You know, the gizmos that have a 10baseT RJ45 jack on one side,
>which connects up to a 10baseT concentrator, and a ThinWire BNC
>on the other side, which can support some number of ThinWire
>stations on a 10base2 segment.

Well, the standard to link dissimilar media is to use a repeater, so you
must look for one;  I am familiar with the AT&T Coax Adapter which is a
true two port repeater and, as such, will support the true 10BASE2 std.
on the coax side.  I know of some vendors that have the proper connectors
but only support, say, 100 meters of thinwire and 20 stations...not 10BASE2.

If you want jitter to accumulate, then buy whatever...otherwise, check the
specs!  Best 'O Luck.

|  Carlo Milono:  cmilono@netcom.apple.com   or   apple!netcom!cmilono     |
|"When a true genius appears in the world, you may know him by this sign,  |
|that the dunces are all in confederacy against him."   - Jonathan Swift   |

culvertl@stat.appstate.edu (03/12/91)

In article <1991Feb27.152330.450@arizona.edu>, leonard@telcom.arizona.edu (Aaron Leonard) writes:
> We're looking for recommendations for 10baseT->ThinWire MAUs.
> You know, the gizmos that have a 10baseT RJ45 jack on one side,
> which connects up to a 10baseT concentrator, and a ThinWire BNC
> on the other side, which can support some number of ThinWire
> stations on a 10base2 segment.

We have been using the CTP-100-T from Cabletron for some time now and have not
had any problems.

Cabletron Systems, Inc.
Corporate Office
35 Industrial Way