[comp.dcom.lans] FDDI availability

godbey@srg.uucp (Nick Godbey 301-266-4525 Home 301-268-8538) (03/09/91)

Does anyone know if you can buy FDDI network boards for AT and EISA buss
machines yet? If will tcp/ip which comes standard with SUNs and SYSV
machines work with them?
	We would like to change our ethernet running tcp/ip over to FDDI and
get the 100 mb transfer rates I hear about.

thanks nick

--

bomb Rule Psix genetic El Salvador Ft. Bragg plutonium Uzi Nazi CIA
FBI Noriega Treasury Rule Psix terrorist KGB

merike@alw.nih.gov (Merike Kaeo) (03/09/91)

Don't have specifics, but have seen info regarding FDDI boards for AT and
EISA computers from the following companies:

Codenoll Technology   (914) 965-6300
SimpleNet Systems     (714) 529-8850
Summit Microsystems   (408) 730-4996

also some companies in Europe:

ONELAN Ltd. (U.K)    44-734-4048
Schneider&Koch  (Germany (West)) (721)7920

If you end up getting any, I'd be interested in hearing about your applications.
Good Luck.

Merike Kaeo

my@falcon.nsc.com (Michael Yip) (03/09/91)

> From: godbey@srg.uucp (Nick Godbey 301-266-4525 Home 301-268-8538)
> Subject: FDDI availability
>
> Does anyone know if you can buy FDDI network boards for AT and EISA buss
> machines yet? If will tcp/ip which comes standard with SUNs and SYSV
> machines work with them?
> 	We would like to change our ethernet running tcp/ip over to FDDI and
> get the 100 mb transfer rates I hear about.

NPI makes both AT and EISA boards for FDDI.  I know that they
provide both Novell and PC-NFS drivers.  The phone number is
(408) 954-8030.  I used the AT version but didn't try the EISA
board.  The performance is OK and I think that the bottle neck
is AT and the AT bus.  It comes with a node processor on the
board.

-- Mike

brian@ca.excelan.com (Brian Meek) (03/09/91)

The News Manager)
Date: Sat, 9 Mar 1991 00:08:51 GMT

In article <1054@nih-csl.nih.gov> merike@alw.nih.gov (Merike Kaeo) writes:
>Don't have specifics, but have seen info regarding FDDI boards for AT and
>EISA computers from the following companies:

[...]
>Schneider&Koch  (Germany (West)) (721)7920

Schneider & Koch now has an office in Palo Alto, CA - 415-322-FDDI

brian
         Brian Meek       Novell, Inc. - 2180 Fortune Dr. San Jose, CA 95131
Internet Mail: brian@novell.COM                        Phone: (408) 473-8375

vjs@rhyolite.wpd.sgi.com (Vernon Schryver) (03/10/91)

In article <1991Mar9.015811.26302@berlioz.nsc.com>, my@falcon.nsc.com (Michael Yip) writes:
> > From: godbey@srg.uucp (Nick Godbey 301-266-4525 Home 301-268-8538)
> > ...	We would like to change our ethernet running tcp/ip over to FDDI and
> > get the 100 mb transfer rates I hear about.
>
> NPI makes both AT and EISA boards for FDDI.  I know that they
> provide both Novell and PC-NFS drivers.  The phone number is
> (408) 954-8030.  I used the AT version but didn't try the EISA
> board.  The performance is OK ...

What number for what sort of traffic corresponds to "OK"?  What does ttcp
say?  Or another TCP/IP benchmark?  Or even FTP?  (which usually hits
bottlenecks other than network stuff)

Vernon Schryver,   vjs@sgi.com

tom@rsp.UUCP (Thomas Ruf) (03/12/91)

vjs@rhyolite.wpd.sgi.com (Vernon Schryver) writes:

>What number for what sort of traffic corresponds to "OK"?  What does ttcp
>say?  Or another TCP/IP benchmark?  Or even FTP?  (which usually hits
>bottlenecks other than network stuff)
Don't know about NPI's board, but on our FDDI board ttcp (well, our clone
that runs under Messy-DOS and uses our API) performs at >1.5MBytes TCP
and 2MB UDP.

---
Thomas Ruf	tom@rsp.de	Schneider & Koch GmbH	Schneider & Koch, Inc
{uunet,mcvax}!unido!rsp!tom	Germany			Palo Alto

sacg1198@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu (Scott Cattanach) (03/13/91)

tom@rsp.UUCP (Thomas Ruf) writes:

>vjs@rhyolite.wpd.sgi.com (Vernon Schryver) writes:

>>What number for what sort of traffic corresponds to "OK"?  What does ttcp
>>say?  Or another TCP/IP benchmark?  Or even FTP?  (which usually hits
>>bottlenecks other than network stuff)

>Don't know about NPI's board, but on our FDDI board ttcp (well, our clone
>that runs under Messy-DOS and uses our API) performs at >1.5MBytes TCP
>and 2MB UDP.

We got ~30 Mbit/sec over FDDI between two Crays using "nettest" from
Cray.

--
 -catt (Scott Cattanach - catt@uiuc.edu)

"I have come to the conclusion that one useless man is called a disgrace,
that two become a law firm, and that three or more become a congress!"