[comp.dcom.lans] Ethernet performance degradation?

bryan@uhura1.uucp (Bryan Curnutt) (03/08/91)

I've also heard (though I don't know how true it is) that Ethernet
network performance degrades drastically if too many nodes are added
to the network, and that the number of nodes to do this is relatively
small.  Is there any truth to this?
--
Bryan Curnutt            bryan%uhura1@uunet.uu.net

spurgeon@atget.cc.utexas.edu (Charles Spurgeon) (03/08/91)

In article <1991Mar7.221028.9883@uhura1.uucp>, bryan@uhura1.uucp (Bryan
Curnutt) writes:
|>I've also heard (though I don't know how true it is) that Ethernet
|>network performance degrades drastically if too many nodes are added
|>to the network, and that the number of nodes to do this is relatively
|>small.  Is there any truth to this?

Every Ethernet, indeed every LAN no matter what the technology used, has
a different equipment mix and load profile, so your mileage will vary.  On
the other hand, there are no special limits to host population/traffic on an
Ethernet other than those listed in the spec (for example, 100 transceivers
per thick Ethernet segment, 30 connections per thin Ethernet segment,
1024 addressable stations per Ethernet system linked with repeaters).

There have been a number of papers written about performance on various
simulations of "Ethernet like" networks.  These simulations seem to be
the ones cited when people are describing "hard limits"  in the Ethernet
protocol.  For some empirical tests of Ethernet performance that show
what the real Ethernet protocol can deliver, check out the DEC Technical
Report listed below:

	   Measured Capacity of an Ethernet: Myths and  Real-
           ity
           David R. Boggs, Jeffrey C. Mogul,  Christopher  A.
           Kent.
           Proceedings of the SIGCOMM '88 Symposium  on  Com-
           munications   Architectures   and  Protocols,  ACM
           SIGCOMM, Stanford, CA., August 1988, 31 pps.

      From the Abstract:

      "Ethernet, a 10 Mbit/sec CSMA/CD network, is one of the
      most  successful LAN technologies.  Considerable confu-
      sion exists as to the actual capacity of  an  Ethernet,
      especially  since  some of the theoretical studies have
      examined operating regimes that are not  characteristic
      of actual networks.  Based on measurements of an actual
      implementation, we show that for a wide class of appli-
      cations,  Ethernet  is  capable of carrying its nominal
      bandwidth  of  useful  traffic,   and   allocates   the
      bandwidth fairly."

      This paper is also  available  over  the  Internet  via
      electronic  mail  from the DEC Western Research archive
      server.  Send a message to the following  address  with
      the  word "help" in the Subject line of the message for
      detailed   instructions.    The   address    is    WRL-
      Techreports@decwrl.dec.com.

      You may also request a copy of the report  through  the
      U.S. postal system by writing to:

           Technical Report Distribution
           DEC Western Research Laboratory, UCO-4
           100 Hamilton Avenue
           Palo Alto, California 94301

In article <1991Mar7.221028.9883@uhura1.uucp> bryan@uhura1.UUCP (Bryan Curnutt) writes:
>I've also heard (though I don't know how true it is) that Ethernet
>network performance degrades drastically if too many nodes are added
>to the network, and that the number of nodes to do this is relatively
>small.  Is there any truth to this?
>--
>Bryan Curnutt            bryan%uhura1@uunet.uu.net

Oh, I don't know about that.

Does 300 nodes count, spread between two buildings? :-)

If you route or bridge packets intelligently, you can do much better.

--
Karl Denninger (karl@ddsw1.MCS.COM, <well-connected>!ddsw1!karl)
Public Access Data Line: [+1 708 808-7300], Voice: [+1 708 808-7200]

mart@csri.toronto.edu (Mart Molle) (03/12/91)

spurgeon@atget.cc.utexas.edu (Charles Spurgeon) writes:

>In article <1991Mar7.221028.9883@uhura1.uucp>, bryan@uhura1.uucp (Bryan
>Curnutt) writes:
>|>I've also heard (though I don't know how true it is) that Ethernet
>|>network performance degrades drastically if too many nodes are added
>|>to the network, and that the number of nodes to do this is relatively
>|>small.  Is there any truth to this?

>Every Ethernet, indeed every LAN no matter what the technology used, has
>a different equipment mix and load profile, so your mileage will vary.  On
>the other hand, there are no special limits to host population/traffic on an
>Ethernet other than those listed in the spec (for example, 100 transceivers
>per thick Ethernet segment, 30 connections per thin Ethernet segment,
>1024 addressable stations per Ethernet system linked with repeaters).

It is not as simple as you suggest.  There is indeed very strong evidence
to show that network performance can degrade drastically when the number
of active hosts reaches a threshold that is significantly below 1024.

>There have been a number of papers written about performance on various
>simulations of "Ethernet like" networks.  These simulations seem to be
>the ones cited when people are describing "hard limits"  in the Ethernet
>protocol.  For some empirical tests of Ethernet performance that show
>what the real Ethernet protocol can deliver, check out the DEC Technical
>Report listed below:

>	   Measured Capacity of an Ethernet: Myths and  Reality
>          David R. Boggs, Jeffrey C. Mogul,  Christopher  A. Kent.
>           Proceedings of the SIGCOMM '88 Symposium  on  Com-
>           munications   Architectures   and  Protocols,  ACM
>           SIGCOMM, Stanford, CA., August 1988, 31 pps.

>      From the Abstract:

>      "Ethernet, a 10 Mbit/sec CSMA/CD network, is one of the
>      most  successful LAN technologies.  Considerable confu-
>      sion exists as to the actual capacity of  an  Ethernet,
>      especially  since  some of the theoretical studies have
>      examined operating regimes that are not  characteristic
>      of actual networks.  Based on measurements of an actual
>      implementation, we show that for a wide class of appli-
>      cations,  Ethernet  is  capable of carrying its nominal
>      bandwidth  of  useful  traffic,   and   allocates   the
>      bandwidth fairly."

Why are you citing this paper?  Their study was limited to 24 hosts,
and hence its findings are irrelevant for the question at hand.

Let me give you three reasons to support my claim:

1. Careful examination of the truncated binary exponential backoff algorithm.

Consider a worst-case scenario, where a large number (~=1024) of active
hosts is beating on the network continuously.  According to the back-of-
the-envelope ``1/Q'' model introduced in the original 1976 CACM paper by
Metcalfe and Boggs, all hosts will quickly spread out their retries until
they hit the maximum backoff delay (i.e., uniform retries over the next
1024 ``slot times'') and so the system settles down to stable operation
with (roughly) one retry per slot time, giving an asymptotic utilization of
	(packet length)/ [(packet length) + (e-1)* (slot time)]
independent of the number of hosts, as long as its no more than 1024 due
to the truncation of the backoff interval.

The flaw in this ``1/Q'' model is that the backoff counter gets reset
after 15 unsuccessful retries, and thereafter the next several attempts
occur very rapidly (as the host ``relearns'' about the congestion problem).
It can be shown that in the limit of very high collision rates, the
average time between successive retries BY A SINGLE NODE is only
about 225 slot times -- so a 1024 host network would have an average
of =four= hosts attempting to transmit at every ``slot''.  Plugging this
value of the traffic generated by each station into an analytical model
(e.g., Sohraby, et al., "Comments on `Throughput Analysis for Persistent
CSMA Systems'", IEEE Trans. Comm., Feb. 1987) indicates that, depending
on the packet size, adding too many hosts causes the percentage of dropped
frames to skyrocket and the Ethernet utilization to plummet.  For 1024
byte frames, the loss probability shoots up between 10 and 100 hosts,
and the utilization drops off between 800 and 1200 hosts; for 64 byte
frames the loss probability shoots up between 100 and 600 hosts and the
utilization drops off between 100 and 500 hosts.

2. Using simulation (gasp!) to extrapolate the results of the `Myths and
Reality' paper to large numbers of hosts.

We wrote yet another Ethernet simulator, including all the grubby details
we could think of (like the 9.6 usec interpacket gap, 12 byte preamble/
checksum) and configured it to mimic the network configuration reported
by Boggs, et al., in the paper above.  After validating our simulator by
reproducing their experimental data for 1-24 hosts, we increased the
number of hosts into the hundreds and observed the same effects at roughly
the same numbers of hosts as described above.

3. Cite the experience of someone who has (apparently) actually tried
to run an Ethernet with that many hosts.

The following article appeared about a year ago in comp.dcom.lans, in
response to a similar query about Ethernets with large numbers of hosts.
Evidently, the experience at Livermore indicates that 1024 hosts on a
single Ethernet `collision domain' is too many...

| >From: oberman@rogue.llnl.gov (Oberman, Kevin)
| Newsgroups: comp.dcom.lans
| Subject: Re: 1024 stations on 1 ethernet?
| Date: 7 Mar 90 11:15:42 GMT
| Sender: usenet@lll-winken.LLNL.GOV
|
| In article <1990Mar7.012322.18918@granite.cr.bull.com>, piacenti@granite.cr.bull.com (Paul Piacentini) writes...
| >my 1st post ... I hope it comes out right
| >
| > I have read somewhere more than once that up to 1024 stations are allowed
| >on 1 ethernet lan. Does this mean 1024 ACTIVE stations, or 1024 adapter
| >conections? Does anyone know why this is a limitation? We are rapidly
| >approaching this figure, but we have several ethernets connected via
| >level 2 bridges. Does this mean we can have up to 1024 stations on each
| >side of the bridges? Any info would be appreciated, thanks.
|
| This limit is technically right, but practically wrong.
|
| The cause of this limit is the collision backoff alogorithm. When a collision
| is detected by a device, the device backs off for a random time. The backoff is
| on of 1024 discrete time intervals. If you have more than about 800 active
| devices on the Ethernet, thing tend to go foobar. A bridge starts the count
| over again. A repeater does not.
|
| 					R. Kevin Oberman
| 					Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory
| 					Internet: oberman@icdc.llnl.gov
|    					(415) 422-6955
|
| Disclaimer: Don't take this too seriously. I just like to improve my typing
| and probably don't really know anything useful about anything.

Mart L. Molle
Computer Systems Research Institute
University of Toronto
Toronto Canada M5S 1A4
(416)978-4928

haas%basset.utah.edu@cs.utah.edu (Walt Haas) (03/12/91)

In article <1991Mar11.133033.25283@jarvis.csri.toronto.edu> mart@csri.toronto.edu (Mart Molle) writes:
>spurgeon@atget.cc.utexas.edu (Charles Spurgeon) writes:

>>Every Ethernet, indeed every LAN no matter what the technology used, has
>>a different equipment mix and load profile, so your mileage will vary.  On
>>the other hand, there are no special limits to host population/traffic on an
>>Ethernet other than those listed in the spec (for example, 100 transceivers
>>per thick Ethernet segment, 30 connections per thin Ethernet segment,
>>1024 addressable stations per Ethernet system linked with repeaters).
>
>It is not as simple as you suggest.  There is indeed very strong evidence
>to show that network performance can degrade drastically when the number
>of active hosts reaches a threshold that is significantly below 1024.

A realistic limit for an Ethernet is probably on the order of 200 hosts,
at least in our environment.  We limit router legs to 100 to 200 hosts, and
usually run into loading issues before we get to that number.

I know of sites that have built larger bridged Ethernets, and the broadcast
traffic became unmanageable.  One such site is now introducing routers into
the net to manage broadcasts etc.  In view of this experience the exponential
backoff issue seems pretty academic.

-- Walt Haas    haas@ski.utah.edu

moleres@druco.ATT.COM (Rick Moleres) (03/13/91)

> From: bryan@uhura1.uucp (Bryan Curnutt)
> Newsgroups: comp.dcom.lans
> Subject: Ethernet performance degradation?
> Date: 7 Mar 91 22:10:28 GMT

> I've also heard (though I don't know how true it is) that Ethernet
> network performance degrades drastically if too many nodes are added
> to the network, and that the number of nodes to do this is relatively
> small.  Is there any truth to this?
> --
> Bryan Curnutt            bryan%uhura1@uunet.uu.net

As I understand it, it is the amount of traffic that degrades
performance, not the number of nodes.  One could argue that
increasing the number of nodes increases the amount of traffic
on the ethernet, but that is not necessarily true.

An ethernet uses CSMA/CD (Carrier Sense Mutliple Access/
Collision Detection) to gain access to the bus.  When a collision
is detected, an exponential backoff algorithm is used by a node
to determine when to try again.  If the amount of traffic on the
ethernet is heavy, then collisions occur often and the interval
before retries becomes exponentially long.  Pretty soon you have
an under-utilized bus because the nodes are waiting for their
next retry time.  Thus, performance on the ethernet has degraded
due to heavy traffic.

-Rick

spurgeon@.uucp (Charles E. Spurgeon) (03/15/91)

In article <1991Mar11.133033.25283@jarvis.csri.toronto.edu> mart@csri.toronto.edu (Mart Molle) writes:
>spurgeon@atget.cc.utexas.edu (Charles Spurgeon) writes:

>value of the traffic generated by each station into an analytical model
>(e.g., Sohraby, et al., "Comments on `Throughput Analysis for Persistent
>CSMA Systems'", IEEE Trans. Comm., Feb. 1987) indicates that, depending
>on the packet size, adding too many hosts causes the percentage of dropped
>frames to skyrocket and the Ethernet utilization to plummet.  For 1024
>byte frames, the loss probability shoots up between 10 and 100 hosts,
>and the utilization drops off between 800 and 1200 hosts; for 64 byte
>frames the loss probability shoots up between 100 and 600 hosts and the
>utilization drops off between 100 and 500 hosts.

The Boggs, Mogul and Kent paper I cited in my reply to the original
post also contains some good advice for Ethernet implementation in
which they point out that you should not install long repeated
networks (use bridges or routers instead), and that you should try to
keep the number of hosts per cable segment down to a low roar.

Most campuses I'm aware of have used routers to limit the size of
Ethernet segments and to isolate themselves from the effects of
misconfigured hosts and high level protocols emitting lots of
broadcasts.  Chopping the Ethernets up into smaller chunks definitely
pays dividends in terms of reliability and manageability.

On the other hand, back in the old days before high performance
bridges and routers were readily available, large repeated networks
were built on campuses that got involved with networking early on.  At
Stanford there was a large 3 megabit experimental Ethernet that linked
a goodly number of hosts.  The main problem I recall with that system
was that every winter, when it rained in California, the old abandoned
cable plant that had been expropriated for this network would get
water in its conduits causing high levels of packet loss.  Once
things dried out, it tended to work fine. :-)

At the University of Texas, another major campus that used Ethernet
early on, the old campus network ran on a large fiber optic system
built using repeaters.  That too linked a good number of hosts and ran
for some time with lots of repeaters and long segments.

>3. Cite the experience of someone who has (apparently) actually tried
>to run an Ethernet with that many hosts.

Ok. I found an old copy of a paper written in 1986 at DEC in my piling
system, in which they monitor the operation of the Ethernet at their
Spit Brook Road, New Hampshire facility.  At the time this network
supported hundreds of nodes on segments linked to a backbone with
repeaters.  The backbone itself had a couple of LAN Bridges in it.
For the test they removed the LAN Bridges and ran the whole thing as
one big repeated system.

They were running 467 nodes, including 23 tips supporting 1,528
terminal lines.  The system was virtually all DECnet, SCA, and LAT
traffic and most of the packets were LAT packets and fairly small in
size.  This is pretty typical for a network back then - lots of
tip/terminal traffic.  During working hours their percentage of
utilization fluctuated between 15-22% with short spikes, sample period
was .5 seconds.  From the sounds of it, this network ran fine for
them.

I hasten to add that I wouldn't recommend that anyone set out to build
large repeated, or even bridged, networks.  With everything managed by
one group, running DECnet, and using multicasts like the network
described above, it obviously worked.  But anyone trying to manage a
heterogeneous network of that size, especially in a campus environment
where there is a lot of freedom and people tend to (mis)configure
hosts on their own, will find themselves dealing with a real
challenging job.

Dealing with the havoc that misconfigured or buggy hosts can cause on
a large repeated or bridged network can be pretty hair raising.
Routers, with their ability to block the propagation of broadcasts on
a network system, are known as "network firewalls" for good reason.