[comp.dcom.lans] MSDOS Starlan Client

norm@cfctech.cfc.com (Norman J. Meluch) (03/15/91)

pjh@mccc.edu (Peter J. Holsberg) writes:
{P} The MSDOS Starlan Client is configured to load itself in expanded memory
{P} and doesn't complain when started.  Yet I find a big chunk of the 0-640K

Yes, when setting the USE_EMM=Y in the PROFILE.SYS file, you are only telling
the ISO driver to load part of itsself in expanded memory.  The majority
of your LAN software is still loaded in conventional memory.

{P} I'm using QEMM 5.12 on an 8MB machine with expanded=3072 and extended=3072.
{P} If I reconfigure the Client s/w to ignore expanded memory, it takes up
{P} more of the 0-640K region, but not as much as one might expect.
{P} Any ideas as to how I can get it all "up there"??  Thanks.

Sure.  In the latest copy of AT&T's _LAN dispatch_ (Winter 1991) magazine
they published an article called "RAM Cram Relief for StarGROUP 3.2 Users"
by Tim Brown.  The basic thrust of the article was to edit the RULES.LST
file in your \ATTNET directory, and change the lines in that under the
"client" section to use the QEMM loadhi command to load the network
TSRs into your PC's high memory.

	So the line:
		attcfg.exe
	becomes
		c:\qemm\loadhi.com attcfg.exe

etc.

Of course this fix only works well on a 386 AT bus clone.  Microchannel PCs
don't really have enough high memory available to be much help, and 286/XT
type machines don't often have a loadhi ability available.

All in all, one of the most helpful tips I've seen in _LAN dispatch_ yet.

						- Norm.
--
|~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ Norman J. Meluch ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~|
| Mail: norm@cfctech.cfc.com           Fax:(313)948-4975  Voice:(313)948-4809 |

saddison@ca.excelan.com (Skip Addison) (03/16/91)

The News Manager)
Date: Fri, 15 Mar 1991 15:59:36 GMT

In article <1991Mar14.191415.7062@cfctech.cfc.com> norm@cfctech.cfc.com (Norman J. Meluch) writes:
>Of course this fix [using loadhi to load software in HI RAM] only works
>well on a 386 AT bus clone.  Microchannel PCs
>don't really have enough high memory available to be much help, and 286/XT
>type machines don't often have a loadhi ability available.

Not quite true.  I'm using loadhi on a 286 machine now, but it requires
an expanded memory board with HARDWARE SUPPORT for LIM 4.0.  Many
expanded memory boards only have partial support for LIM 4.0.  At my local
Fry's Electronics, the boards without the necessary support were $80-100.
The one board they had which would create "HI RAM" was $195.  We needed
the hi memory and the board was cheaper than buying a new computer, so....
It's working fine using LOADHI on a network.

-- Skip