[comp.dcom.lans] Lantastic Packets

johnson@EA.USL.EDU (03/15/91)

We were trying to look at our Ethernet traffic which consists of Decnet,
telnet, ftp, etc. on a thickwire within our building and Lantastic
traffic on thinwire within the building.  All thinwire is connected to
the thick through a repeater.  Upon disconnecting the repeater from thick,
and therefore removing all but Lantastic traffic, we would see all Lantastic
broadcast packets (enabled with Send Server ID), but none of the data packets
were visible.  The software we were using is NETWATCH.

Any explanations as to why the data packets were not shown also.

Thanks

jrd@cc.usu.edu (03/18/91)

In article <0094598E.9F5430A0@EA.USL.EDU>, johnson@EA.USL.EDU writes:
> We were trying to look at our Ethernet traffic which consists of Decnet,
> telnet, ftp, etc. on a thickwire within our building and Lantastic
> traffic on thinwire within the building.  All thinwire is connected to
> the thick through a repeater.  Upon disconnecting the repeater from thick,
> and therefore removing all but Lantastic traffic, we would see all Lantastic
> broadcast packets (enabled with Send Server ID), but none of the data packets
> were visible.  The software we were using is NETWATCH.
>
> Any explanations as to why the data packets were not shown also.
>
> Thanks

	Make sure the observing station is not using Lantastic because that
protocol stack will receive the packets and not let Netwatch have them. Were
this to be the case then Lantastic would not be receiving the broadcast
packets, a curious arrangement.
	Joe D.