[comp.dcom.lans] Lantastic memory conflicts

umcarls9@ccu.umanitoba.ca (Charles Carlson) (03/22/91)

I'm having a strange problem getting Lantastic to work in some machines with
ATI Basic-16 VGA cards.  We're using the WD8013EP boards.  Everything works
fine in 8 bit mode<generally>, but since we have 16 bit cards, we'd prefer to
use that mode.  16 bit mode works fine in one SX machine using the NEAT
chipset and AMI bios, but doesn't in another using an Award BIOS.
It works fine in one 386 DX using discretes<ie, not a chipset> but not
in another using discretes<of a slightly different design>.
All machines work fine in 16 bit mode using herc video.
In other words, 16 bit mode works in some machines, but not in others
using the ATI Basic-16 VGA card.  Can anyone explain why?  I've tried
several IOBASES and RAMBASES.  All with pretty much the same result,
crashes.

Also, what type of boot ROM do I need with the 8013EP boards to boot
Lantastic with over the network?

Thanks,
Charles

gt0652b@prism.gatech.EDU (Josh "The Man" Guttman) (03/22/91)

In article <1991Mar22.030639.6996@ccu.umanitoba.ca> umcarls9@ccu.umanitoba.ca (Charles Carlson) writes:

>I'm having a strange problem getting Lantastic to work in some machines with
>ATI Basic-16 VGA cards.  We're using the WD8013EP boards.  Everything works
>fine in 8 bit mode<generally>, but since we have 16 bit cards, we'd prefer to
use that mode.  16 bit mode works fine in one SX machine using the NEAT

Sounds to me like your vidoe board and etheret board are writing over
each others memory. Your computer either has qemm 386 (allowing it to
use vidoe memory) or your borad has video bios shadowing.

If you are running EMS make sure that you exclude the memeory address
that the eithernet card uses. I think they discuss it in the AE-2
hardware manual. This keeps EMS from allocating the AE-2 address to. for
instance, Lotus.

Josh Guttman

* Joshua I. Guttman	   (404)355-3908 Home      **    Norm Is Lord! 	    *
* gt0652b@prism.gatech.edu (404)355-0001 Business  **************************
* josh@triad.com           (404)242-1922 Triad Technologies                 *