[comp.dcom.lans] Micom/Interlan TCP Gateway, from Netware

carroll@ssc-vax (Jeff Carroll) (03/20/91)

	I use the Micom/Interlan TCP Gateway, V1.3, along with the telnet
application apparently provided with it, to access this machine (ssc-vax)
from my desktop via a Novell SFT server.

	It crashes on me frequently enough to be a real PITA*. Our Novell
supervisor is swamped by the problems of Upper Management, and, as far as
I can tell, doesn't know or care anything about TCP anyway.

	Can anyone suggest a possible source of my problem? The crashes are
frequent, varied, and often quite dramatic (though it hasn't crashed yet
during the editing of this post).

(*PITA: pain in the hindquarters.)

--
Jeff Carroll
carroll@ssc-vax.boeing.com

ppascoe@bjudev.UUCP (Phillip Pascoe) (03/22/91)

In article <3724@ssc-bee.ssc-vax.UUCP> carroll@ssc-vax.UUCP (Jeff Carroll) writes:

>	I use the Micom/Interlan TCP Gateway, V1.3, along with the telnet
>application apparently provided with it, to access this machine (ssc-vax)
>from my desktop via a Novell SFT server.
>
>	It crashes on me frequently enough to be a real PITA*. Our Novell
>supervisor is swamped by the problems of Upper Management, and, as far as
>I can tell, doesn't know or care anything about TCP anyway.
>
>	Can anyone suggest a possible source of my problem? The crashes are
>frequent, varied, and often quite dramatic (though it hasn't crashed yet
>during the editing of this post).
>
>(*PITA: pain in the hindquarters.)
>
>--
>Jeff Carroll
>carroll@ssc-vax.boeing.com

I seem to remember our gateway was acting similar before we upgraded to the
1.4 release of the software.  It seemed to be related to the lack of file
service processes under Netware.  I added a larger hard disk to the network
server and the gateway ceased functioning all together, after upgrading the
software to the new version, I found out that they now used less file
service processes enabling it to work with the larger hard disk
requirements.  As a side light, we are moving from the gateway to FTP
Software's PCTCP product using packet drivers to gain both TCP/IP support
and Novell support off the same ethernet card.  I have found the 1.4
release to be much more stable.

Phillip Pascoe
Bob Jones University
uunet!bjudev!ppascoe
Opinions stated are my own.

viki@crash.cts.com (Victoria Harkey) (03/23/91)

In relation to Phillip Pascoe's posting regarding the File Service Processes
in NetWare:
  If your FSP are 3, you will be able to function.
  If the FSP level is below 3 there will be erratic behavior, and the
crashes will look like hardware because of the intermittent nature.
  If the FSP is 3, do nothing to increase your file server hard drive.

There is a patch available from COMPUSERV for the FSP problem. It is run
against 2 of the system files at the system generation time. Run the
patches, regen the operating system and reinstall. It should bring your
server from 3 FSPs to 6 FSPs.

This problem has been addressed and will be taken care of in NetWare ver.
2.2 which is set for release next month.

Viki

Victoria Harkey
Network Engineering Technologies
Certified NetWare Engineer