[comp.dcom.lans] Booting a SPARCstation SLC

otto@tukki.jyu.fi (Otto J. Makela) (03/22/91)

We just got a SPARCstation SLC, which works fine except that during tftp
bootup, we get these messages splattered all over the screen:
	CRC Error
	Silo exceeded
Now, these would seem to be Ethernet traffic statuses.  Is our network
getting congested, or is the boot server (a 4/260) somehow misconfigured ?
Or are these messages normal ?
--
   /* * * Otto J. Makela <otto@jyu.fi> * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * */
  /* Phone: +358 41 613 847, BBS: +358 41 211 562 (USR HST/V.32, 24h/d)   */

mikey@ccs.carleton.ca (Mike McFaul) (03/23/91)

In article <OTTO.91Mar21200601@tukki.jyu.fi> otto@tukki.jyu.fi (Otto J. Makela) writes:
>We just got a SPARCstation SLC, which works fine except that during tftp
>bootup, we get these messages splattered all over the screen:
>	CRC Error
>	Silo exceeded
>Now, these would seem to be Ethernet traffic statuses.  Is our network
>getting congested, or is the boot server (a 4/260) somehow misconfigured ?
>Or are these messages normal ?

I believe these are indications of garbage on your network. We have an SLC
and a Sparc station 1+ (diskless) and we've seen similar stuff when our
network had bad packets on it. We installed a bridge between the offending
equipment and our network and the errors went away.

jason@cs.odu.edu (Jason "dedos" Austin) (03/24/91)

In article <1991Mar23.020515.22554@ccs.carleton.ca> mikey@ccs.carleton.ca (Mike McFaul) writes:
-> In article <OTTO.91Mar21200601@tukki.jyu.fi> otto@tukki.jyu.fi (Otto J. Makela) writes:
-> >We just got a SPARCstation SLC, which works fine except that during tftp
-> >bootup, we get these messages splattered all over the screen:
-> >	CRC Error
-> >	Silo exceeded
-> >Now, these would seem to be Ethernet traffic statuses.  Is our network
-> >getting congested, or is the boot server (a 4/260) somehow misconfigured ?
-> >Or are these messages normal ?
->
-> I believe these are indications of garbage on your network. We have an SLC
-> and a Sparc station 1+ (diskless) and we've seen similar stuff when our
-> network had bad packets on it. We installed a bridge between the offending
-> equipment and our network and the errors went away.

	If it's only this one machine that's giving you trouble, try
swapping transceivers and see if the problem follows.
--
Jason C. Austin
jason@cs.odu.edu