[comp.dcom.lans] Packet Drivers or NDIS Drivers for Netware

king@vrdxhq.verdix.com (Greg King) (02/20/91)

Can anyone tell me if Netware supports the NDIS interface spec or
the packet driver spec?  Also what are the basic differences between
Netware 286 and Netware 386?  Are different drivers required?

Much Thanks in Advance,

Greg King
Verdix Corporation
14130-A Sullyfied Circle
Chantilly, VA 22021
703-378-7600 x288

king@verdix.com

jrd@cc.usu.edu (02/26/91)

In article <46945@vrdxhq.verdix.com>, king@vrdxhq.verdix.com (Greg King) writes:
> Can anyone tell me if Netware supports the NDIS interface spec or
> the packet driver spec?  Also what are the basic differences between
> Netware 286 and Netware 386?  Are different drivers required?
>
> Much Thanks in Advance,
>
> Greg King
> Verdix Corporation
> 14130-A Sullyfied Circle
> Chantilly, VA 22021
> 703-378-7600 x288
>
> king@verdix.com

Greg,
	Novell supports neither Packet Drivers nor NDIS. They do support
their own Open Data-Link Interface (ODI, sometimes ODLI) which provides
similar protocol multiplexing capabilities. That makes three "standards"
these days. The specifications for ODI are available from Novell for a fee,
and they form a substantially thick stack of paper. Is it possible to
convert one to the other? Yes, it is, with some loss naturally, but those
solutions (called "shims") are basically experimental and not for production
use.
	NW/286 and NW/386 (or using the new machine independent name of
NetWare 3.11) are completely different animals under the skin so drivers
do not carry across at all. Workstations continue to work with old and new
shells (backward compatibility) on both vintages of servers.
	If given a choice between NetWare 2.x and 3.x then choose 3.x if
finances allow (particularly when a long term view is taken). My view is that
3.x is worth the money and then some for large groups of users.
	Joe D.

mjhammel@Kepler.dell.com (Michael J. Hammel) (03/02/91)

In article <1991Feb25.192415.46941@cc.usu.edu>, jrd@cc.usu.edu writes:
> 	Novell supports neither Packet Drivers nor NDIS. They do support
> their own Open Data-Link Interface (ODI, sometimes ODLI) which provides
> similar protocol multiplexing capabilities. That makes three "standards"
> these days. The specifications for ODI are available from Novell for a fee,
> and they form a substantially thick stack of paper. Is it possible to
> convert one to the other? Yes, it is, with some loss naturally, but those
> solutions (called "shims") are basically experimental and not for production
> use.

Ok, now I know where the ODI spec is.  How about the NDIS spec?  I have
the packet driver spec.  Someone here at work wants to know how the
three are related and I really don't know at this point. Are all three
Data Link Level protocols?  Are there RFCs, ISO Refs, or other accepted
standards reports for any of these (ie have they been adopted by any of
the standards organizations)?

I use the packet drivers with various applications.  Who has NDIS
applications?  ODI?  Has anyone implemented NDIS over packet-drivers?
Vice-versa?

Thanks net!

Michael J. Hammel        | mjhammel@{Kepler|socrates}.dell.com
Dell Computer Corp.      | {73377.3467|76424.3024}@compuserve.com
#include <disclaim/std>  | zzham@ttuvm1.bitnet | uunet!uudell!feynman!mjhammel
#define CUTESAYING "Recycle.  Just do it."

keith@ca.excelan.com (Keith Brown) (03/06/91)

The News Manager)
Date: Fri, 22 Feb 1991 22:19:57 GMT

In article <46945@vrdxhq.verdix.com> king@vrdxhq.verdix.com (Greg King) writes:
>Can anyone tell me if Netware supports the NDIS interface spec or
>the packet driver spec?

Technically we support niether, although in reality NetWare client DOS
workstations can be set up to make use of either type of driver. The method
for setting up an IPX.COM to use packet drivers is pretty famous (infamous?)
but if, like me, you've slept through the last thousand or so postings
on the subject then send me some mail and I'll tell you how. I believe
FTP software have a packet driver to NDIS converter TSR so that would
be the (a?) way to run NetWare client software over NDIS.

Our architecture for running multiple protocols at both the client and
server side is the Open Datalink Interface (ODI). Many people are under the
impression that we are in some way "competing" with both NDIS and the
packet driver spec. We're not! The ODI and it's associated API really
sits above the simple "send a packet, receive a packet" APIs of both NDIS
and the packet drivers. The ODI understands medias and encapsulation
methodologies and shields overlying protocols from having to worry about
what type of network they are running on. It actually makes perfect sense
to build ODI drivers for the NDIS "board" and the packet driver "board".
The ODI adds value atop them!

Although such drivers may soon exist, we are encouraging board
vendors to write "hard wired" ODI drivers. 50 vendors recently attended our
first training course on the subject of writing such drivers. Like British
Rail, we are getting there :-)

>Also what are the basic differences between
>Netware 286 and Netware 386?  Are different drivers required?

At the server yes. NetWare 386 (now NetWare v3.11) drivers have the ODI
architecture. They support multiple overlying protocols on numerous
underlying medias using many encapsulation methodologies concurrently
(clever stuff this ODI!). NetWare 286 server drivers are not ODI.
At DOS workstations there is no difference between NetWare 386 and 286
drivers. You will need to use our ODI drivers at the client if you wish
to communicate with NetWare 386 servers over one of our newer supported
encapsulations (eg, IPX over Ethernet SNAP) but if your running things
ye olde traditional way, you can use ODI drivers, hard wired drivers,
packet drivers, NDIS drivers or any other type of driver you can find that
can get IPX packets onto a piece of cable!

Keith
-
Keith Brown                                      Phone: (408) 473 8308
Novell San Jose Development Centre               Fax:   (408) 433 0775
2180 Fortune Dr, San Jose, California 95131      Net:   keith@novell.COM

romkey@asylum.SF.CA.US (John Romkey) (03/07/91)

keith@ca.excelan.com (Keith Brown) writes:

>Our architecture for running multiple protocols at both the client and
>server side is the Open Datalink Interface (ODI). Many people are under the
>impression that we are in some way "competing" with both NDIS and the
>packet driver spec. We're not! The ODI and it's associated API really
>sits above the simple "send a packet, receive a packet" APIs of both NDIS
>and the packet drivers. The ODI understands medias and encapsulation
>methodologies and shields overlying protocols from having to worry about
>what type of network they are running on. It actually makes perfect sense
>to build ODI drivers for the NDIS "board" and the packet driver "board".
>The ODI adds value atop them!

From what I understand, ODI doesn't provide any logical (IP, for instance) to
physical (MAC) address translation. If it doesn't, then any protocol stacks
running above it still have to do this and know about the physical media they
reside on. In that case, ODI's only real difference is that it builds media
headers. Without the address translation, I don't think you can really claim
that it's media-independent, as some protocols like IP will still have to
provide media dependent code in them.
--
		- john romkey			Epilogue Technology
USENET/UUCP/Internet:  romkey@asylum.sf.ca.us	FAX: 415 594-1141

donp@na.excelan.com (don provan) (03/07/91)

The News Manager)
Date: Wed, 6 Mar 1991 20:14:31 GMT

In article <13782@asylum.SF.CA.US> romkey@asylum.SF.CA.US (John Romkey) writes:
>From what I understand, ODI doesn't provide any logical (IP, for instance) to
>physical (MAC) address translation. If it doesn't, then any protocol stacks
>running above it still have to do this and know about the physical media they
>reside on. In that case, ODI's only real difference is that it builds media
>headers. Without the address translation, I don't think you can really claim
>that it's media-independent, as some protocols like IP will still have to
>provide media dependent code in them.

The existence of ARP shows that IP itself isn't media-independent, so
of course complete media-independence for an IP implementation is not
possible.  Other protocols, however, such as CLNP, XNS, and IPX,
require no media specific address mapping because they pass media
addresses around at the network layer.  Here, ODI has an overwhelming
advantage because these protocols can, in fact, be completely
media-independent.

In other words, IP's use of logical addresses is not typical.  Even if
it were, there's a significant difference between identification of
the medium and knowledge of the medium.  ARP itself is interesting for
a few reasons:

1. Address mapping really *is* the only media specific information
required.

2. Address mapping is a rare event, so the media specific code isn't
invoked for each packet.

3. ARP is common across several media.  IP with ARP really *is*
basically media-independent for a wide range of media.  (I'm assuming,
of course, that ARP implementations tend to ignore ARP's hardware type
field, and i can't imagine why they wouldn't.)

Anyway, Keith's main point still stands: ODI and packet drivers are
complementary solutions to different problems, not competing
interfaces at odds with each other.
						don provan
						donp@novell.com

fks@vaxeline.ftp.com (Frances Selkirk) (03/08/91)

The NDIS specification is available by anonymous ftp to vax.ftp.com.
Look in pub. On the same machine, in pub/packet.driver/pubdom/ndis, is
our packet driver-ndis interface, for using applications written for
packet driver over an ndis driver.

--

Frances Kirk Selkirk		 info@ftp.com	           (617) 246-0900
FTP Software, Inc.		 26 Princess Street, Wakefield, MA  01880

dennis@gpu.utcs.utoronto.ca (Dennis Ferguson) (03/08/91)

In article <1991Mar6.201431.18839@novell.com> donp@na.excelan.com (don provan) writes:
>The existence of ARP shows that IP itself isn't media-independent, so
>of course complete media-independence for an IP implementation is not
>possible.  Other protocols, however, such as CLNP, XNS, and IPX,
                                              ^^^^
>require no media specific address mapping because they pass media
>addresses around at the network layer.  Here, ODI has an overwhelming
>advantage because these protocols can, in fact, be completely
>media-independent.
>
>In other words, IP's use of logical addresses is not typical.

I don't think it is true that CLNP passes media addresses around at
the network layer.  Or more specifically, if your CLNP implementation
assumes that a useful MAC address is encoded in the NSAP I think you
are going to be unhappy with it.

GOSIP-format NSAPs do include a 6 byte System ID, but it is not a
a requirement that this contain a MAC address.  Hosts which autoconfigure
their NSAPs may put a MAC address in there to guarantee the generation
of a unique number (this is why the field is 6 bytes), but you can't
assume that all hosts have done this.  And even if you could, multihomed
hosts (with more than one interface but perhaps just one NSAP) would still
break the assumption that you can use the address for sending.

ES-IS (which is sort of an ARP-replacement rolled in with a gateway
discovery protocol) is used to do media-dependent address mapping for CLNP,
in a way which is quite analogous to ARP and IP.

I'm not really sure that the list of protocols which use logical addresses
is limited to IP and CLNP, either (SNA seems to, though in a way which
certainly has no analogy to IP).  What is "typical" may depend a lot on
the particular set of protocols you consider.

Dennis Ferguson

leo@unipalm.uucp (E.J. Leoni-Smith) (03/14/91)

I was surprised that no one else came up with the 3COM product
Netware for 3+ open or something like that. Its an IPX<=>NDIS
converter. Works well (with 3com drivers, probs with WD) to allow
you to run Netware over NDIS. You have to fudge the installation to
make it appear that you have LanMan installed tho....

Unloadable IPX and NET3 too..

But VERY expensive in small doses. OK for large site licences.

Don't mail me about it - we tested it and it it works. Talk to 3COM
P.S. Last time I checked you couldn't run the FTP packet+NDIS with
the BYU IPX=packet driver code. So that might not be the route out.

RBYAML@ROHVM1.BITNET (Aengus Lawlor) (03/21/91)

In article <1337@vaxeline.ftp.com>, fks@vaxeline.ftp.com (Frances Selkirk) says:
>The NDIS specification is available by anonymous ftp to vax.ftp.com.
>Look in pub. On the same machine, in pub/packet.driver/pubdom/ndis, is
>our packet driver-ndis interface, for using applications written for
>packet driver over an ndis driver.
>--
>Frances Kirk Selkirk             info@ftp.com              (617) 246-0900
>FTP Software, Inc.               26 Princess Street, Wakefield, MA  01880

I downloaded the files, but the docs are a bit sparse. Can anyone give me
some pointers on what should be in my PROTOCOL.INI file? I have 3Com 3C503
cards (EtherLink II) and the docs refer me to Chapter 7 in the 3+Open LAN
Manager Technical Reference for further info.

I don't have LAN Manager, but anticipate getting Pathworks (PCSA V4.0) soon
which works over NDIS. I would like to get my current setup working with
NDIS (Packet driver for NCSA Telnet and BYU Novell), so that adding Pathworks
will be simplified somewhat.

While I'm at it, does anyone have any ideas about Windows 3.0 and NDIS, and
whether W3 apps are going to be able to talk to NDIS, or will that require
new drivers, or something like PKTINT that comes with QVTNET. (Does any of
this make sense?)
--
RBYAML@ROHMHAAS.COM                   Aengus Lawlor
RBYAML@ROHVM1.BITNET                  (who used to be ALAWLOR@DIT.IE)

P85025@BARILVM.BITNET (Doron Shikmoni) (03/24/91)

In article <91079.125644RBYAML@ROHVM1.BITNET>, Aengus Lawlor
<RBYAML@ROHVM1.BITNET> says:

>I downloaded the files, but the docs are a bit sparse. Can anyone give me
>some pointers on what should be in my PROTOCOL.INI file? I have 3Com 3C503
>cards (EtherLink II) and the docs refer me to Chapter 7 in the 3+Open LAN
>Manager Technical Reference for further info.

The following addition into PROTOCOL.INI works for me:

; ------------------ FTP Software Packet Driver Protocol --------------------
[PKTDRV]
   DriverName = PKTDRV
   bindings = WDMAC
   Intvec = 0x60
; ---------------------------

Where WDMAC is the name of the MAC level driver portion of your protocol.ini
(for me it's the WD MAC level), and 0x60 in the INTVEC is the packet driver
interrupt number.

>I don't have LAN Manager, but anticipate getting Pathworks (PCSA V4.0) soon
>which works over NDIS. I would like to get my current setup working with
>NDIS (Packet driver for NCSA Telnet and BYU Novell), so that adding Pathworks
>will be simplified somewhat.

Now here's the problem. BYU Novell will not work with the NDIS_PKT driver
(bug in one of the parties...), so the whole building collapses...
(BTW, has anyone been doing anything about that, or at least took a look
at the problems there?).

Hope this helps
Doron

tcs@mailer.jhuapl.edu (Carl Schelin) (03/27/91)

In article <91079.125644RBYAML@ROHVM1.BITNET>, RBYAML@ROHVM1.BITNET (Aengus Lawlor) says:
>I downloaded the files, but the docs are a bit sparse. Can anyone give me
>some pointers on what should be in my PROTOCOL.INI file? I have 3Com 3C503
>cards (EtherLink II) and the docs refer me to Chapter 7 in the 3+Open LAN
>Manager Technical Reference for further info.

Here, try this for your Protocol.Ini file. It works for me.

----------
;****************************
;**  Etherlink II (3c503)  **
;****************************

[ELNKII]
     drivername  = elnkii$
     interrupt   = 3                      default
     ioaddress   = 0x310             default
     xmitbufs    = 1                     ??
     transceiver = 1             only if you're using an external transceiver.

;************************
;**     PROTOCOLS      **

[PKTDRV]
  DRIVERNAME = PKTDRV
  BINDINGS = ELNKII                    points to [ELNKII]
  INTVEC = 0X60
-----

Remove the comments after each of the lines.

Carl Schelin
tcs@mailer.jhuapl.edu