[comp.dcom.lans] SunNet Mgr. Cisco SNMP Agent

jjn@cbjjn.att.com (Jeff Nappi) (03/27/91)

I have installed SunNet Manager on my Sparc Station unfortunetly
Sun did not provide a SNMP Agent specific to the Cisco routers
we have in use. Does any one know where I could get the agent
already built for the SunNet Mgr? I have the Cisco Mibs but I
am not to really interested in building the agent from scratch.
Any help would be appreciated.

stpierre@lobsta.Eng.Sun.COM (Bob "Pete" St.Pierre) (03/27/91)

In article <1991Mar26.185238.17822@cbfsb.att.com> jjn@cbjjn.att.com (Jeff Nappi) writes:

>I have installed SunNet Manager on my Sparc Station unfortunetly
>Sun did not provide a SNMP Agent specific to the Cisco routers
>we have in use. Does any one know where I could get the agent
>already built for the SunNet Mgr? I have the Cisco Mibs but I
>am not to really interested in building the agent from scratch.
>Any help would be appreciated.
Assuming you're running SunNet Manager 1.1:
The agent does not need to be rebuilt.  The snmp proxy agent reads all the
information it needs from a schema file.
  1) Using the mib2schema program provided with SunNet Manager, you can
     translate the Cisco Mib to a SunNet Manager schema file.
  2) Add the new schema file to the agents directory on the manager station
     and any machines that will proxy between the cisco box and the manager
     station.
  3) All you need to do from there is edit the snmp.hosts file to associate
     the apropriate schema file and read/write community strings with the
     Cisco's hostname.  The format of the snmp.hosts file should be
     documented in the manuals.

There is also a man page for mib2schema.

--
Bob (Pete) St.Pierre    | "Changes in latitude, changes in attitude, nothing
stpierre@Eng.Sun.COM    |  remains quite the same.  Through all of our

page@Eng.Sun.COM (Bob Page) (03/27/91)

Jeff Nappi wrote:
> Sun did not provide a SNMP Agent specific to the Cisco routers we have

I think you meant Sun don't supply MIBs for other vendors.  The SunNet
Manager SNMP stuff talks to cisco boxes if you have the cisco MIB.

> I have the Cisco Mibs but I am not to really interested in building
> the agent from scratch.

You don't have to; the product's SNMP support is extensible.  What you
need to do depends on what release you have.  In 1.0, look at
Application Note 1 that came with your software.  If you have 1.1, use
the 'mib2schema' program, which makes things much easier.

> Any help would be appreciated.

I hope that helps.  You already have everything you need; you just need
to put it in place.

If the product's documentation doesn't clarify things, Sun's support
line would be a good place to find out more.

..bob
--
Bob Page	Sun Microsystems, Inc.		page@eng.sun.com
"The biggest growth industry in UNIX is promoting standards."