[comp.dcom.lans] Good nontechnical bits/item example wanted

krol@ux1.cso.uiuc.edu (Ed Krol) (03/23/91)

I am looking for some examples which I can use in a talk to non
techies to illustrate transmissions speeds.  So what I am looking
for is how many bytes are in the bible, or in the encyclopedia britianica
or the sunday new york times....

Thanks

howeird@hpspdra.HP.COM (Howard Stateman) (03/27/91)

krol@ux1.cso.uiuc.edu (Ed Krol) writes:
>I am looking for some examples which I can use in a talk to non
>techies to illustrate transmissions speeds.  So what I am looking
>for is how many bytes are in the bible, or in the encyclopedia britianica
>or the sunday new york times....

When I give this kind of talk, I usually start by saying that, in round
numbers, it takes about 10 bits for every character, and your typical
typed sheet has 80 characters per line, 66 lines per page. That's 52,800
bits per page...

Howard Stateman
Systems Support Engineer  Telnet (415) 857-3817
Intelligent Networks Operation, Palo Alto
howeird@hpspdra.spd.HP.COM

anderson@dogie.macc.wisc.edu (Jess Anderson) (03/28/91)

In article <12710015@hpspdra.HP.COM> howeird@hpspdra.HP.COM
(Howard Stateman) writes:

>krol@ux1.cso.uiuc.edu (Ed Krol) writes:

>>I am looking for some examples which I can use in a talk to non
>>techies to illustrate transmissions speeds.  So what I am looking
>>for is how many bytes are in the bible, or in the encyclopedia britianica
>>or the sunday new york times....

>When I give this kind of talk, I usually start by saying that, in round
>numbers, it takes about 10 bits for every character, and your typical
>typed sheet has 80 characters per line, 66 lines per page. That's 52,800
>bits per page...

No disrespect intended, but that seems to me a rather more
technical or engineering point of view of the matter and I
think your numbers are quite high because of it.  As an
example of another way of looking at it, think in terms of
typed manuscript pages.  These are usually 60-character lines
of pica type, double spaced, with top and bottom page
margins.  That would be 18,000 bits per page.  In practice,
the number is closer to 15,000 because of ragged right margins.

Typescript gives people a reasonable conceptual handle, if
they've been to college and had to write term papers and
book reports.  A megabyte is around 660 pages of typescript.

Now for some blue sky.  That megabyte equates to a moderate-
sized book.  By that measure, the Library of Congress contains
about 50 thousand thousand megabytes = 5 x 10^13 bytes.

<> True love-sickness is not desire for possession, but only
<> a gentle unveiling of the world itself. -- Robert Musil
--
Jess Anderson <> Madison Academic Computing Center <> University of Wisconsin
Internet: anderson@macc.wisc.edu <-best, UUCP:{}!uwvax!macc.wisc.edu!anderson