[comp.dcom.lans] <None>

Andy.Linton@comp.vuw.ac.nz (Andy Linton) (08/01/90)

It seems likely that our new Computer Science building will be cabled using
AT&T SYSTIMAX Premises Distribution System (PDS). I'd be interested in
any general comments people may have about the system.

Eventually we'd like to use it to provide 10BaseT support into offices
but we have still a number of Unix workstations which uses 10Base2 and
10Base5 e.g. HP300, HP800, Sun, NCD X-terminal plus PC's and Mac's.

This raises two points:

1) Suggestions of good and bad converter devices from 10Base[25] to
10BaseT would be welcome. Approximate prices would be useful.

2) And for the future, who is going to support 10BaseT on Unix
workstations etc?

Thanks
andy

bolland@mdcbbs.com (09/01/90)

  An excellent Article on the EtherSwitch can be found in Data Communications
  International (August Issue) pp67-71

  It is written by Vinod Bhardwaj - Principal Scientist at Kalpana

gehallert@amherst.bitnet (09/14/90)

In article <1990Aug29.153353.13564@math.lsa.umich.edu>, nelson@sun.soe.clarkson.edu (Russ Nelson) writes:
> Archive-name: clarkson-packet-drivers/29-Aug-90
> Archive-site: sun.soe.clarkson.edu [128.153.12.3]
> Archive-directory: /pub/ka9q
> Reposted-by: emv@math.lsa.umich.edu (Edward Vielmetti)
>
> The 7.x release of the Clarkson collection of packet drivers is now
> available.  The summary is given below.  In addition to the new
> drivers and bug fixes, a switch has been added that lets you use
> Novell without econfiging your server.

> 	New drivers: UB PC/NIC, LocalTalk, Tiara, NTI.
> 	Bugs fixed: 3c505, 3c503, wd8003e, nb, ne1000.
> 	Bug found but not fixed: 3c523.
>
> The packet drivers are for MS-DOS, and serve to hide the difference between
> network cards, and allow multiple protocol stacks to access the same card.
> Most often people are interested in running Novell's Netware and TCP/IP
> at the same time.
>
> 		The Clarkson packet driver collection
>
> Availability
>
> The Clarkson collection of packet drivers is available by FTP, by
> archive-server, and by modem.  They come in two flavors -- executables
> only (drivers.arc), and source+executables (driverss.arc).  All of the
> following instructions apply to both drivers.arc and driverss.arc.
>
> Mail:
>
> I distribute the packet drivers on a 1.2 MB 5.25" disk, or a 720K 3.5"
> disk.  You can send me a check for $20, or you can send me a purchse
> order and I will bill you for $22.  NY residents add 7% sales tax,
> overseas orders add $3 for shipping.  If you send a check, please be
> sure it is in US dollars -- the bank charges me $15 to convert checks
> drawn in foreign currencies.
>
> 	Russell Nelson
> 	11 Grant St.
> 	Potsdam, NY 13676
>
> FTP:
>
> sun.soe.clarkson.edu:/pub/ka9q/drivers.arc
> grape.ecs.clarkson.edu:/e/tcpip/drivers.arc
>
> Archive-server:
>
> Send mail to archive-server@sun.soe.clarkson.edu and put the following
> command as the body of your message:
> 	help
> This will send you a help message.  Reading this help message will tell
> you how to fetch the packet drivers.
>
> Modem:
>
> Call the Clarkson Heath User's Group's BBS: (315)268-6667, 8N1,
> 1200/2400 Baud, 24 hours.  Change to file area 24 and download drivers.arc.
>
> --
> --russ (nelson@clutx [.bitnet | .clarkson.edu])  Russ.Nelson@$315.268.6667
> We won the cold war.  The Russians spent trillions defending their stuff,
> then they found that they didn't have any stuff.  Will we avoid the same trap?

00bestrawser@bsu-ucs.uucp (Wichmachtendienk, Wigolauchsik, Witahemui.....) (10/31/90)

jsa;fjsa;lfjksla;kfja;slkfjsla;dkfj;slakdjf;aslkdjfa;sldkjf

leonard@arizona.edu (Aaron Leonard) (11/09/90)

In article <1522@ariadne.csi.forth.GR>, nicolas@csi.forth.gr
(Nicolas Chrissakis) writes:

> I have  the following situation:
>
>       |=========================|  <-----Ethernet 802.3
>                  |||| <------- 4 wires (600 meters) under a road.
>        |========================|  <-----Ethernet 802.3
>
> I will like to connect the 2 Ethernet segments with these 4 wires.
> I can not put a repeater in the middle of the road and I want to have a
> 10 Mbit/sec connection.

In such situations, we'll drive the line as a T1 circuit and hook up
the Ethernets via bridge/routers, thus:

       |=========================|  <-----Ethernet 802.3
                    |  <---------------AUI cable
                 [bridge]
                    I  <---------------V.35 cable
                  [ld] <---------------T1 line driver
                  [ld] <---------------T1 line driver
                    I  <---------------V.35 cable
                 [bridge]
                    |  <---------------AUI cable
        |========================|  <-----Ethernet 802.3

You can use T1 CSU/DSUs, but on private copper the T1 line drivers
are smaller and cheaper.  (We use units from Teleprocessing Products.)
They can drive the line at speeds ranging from fractional T1 (384Kb I
think) on up to a full 2.048MBps.

You can use bridges or routers to connect the T1 circuit up to the
Ethernet.  Bridges are cheaper; we like cisco brouters for their
flexibility.

The whole thing ain't cheap; our cost (and we get big discounts) runs
to about $10000 for such a hookup.  But it works fine.

Aaron

Aaron Leonard (AL104), <Leonard@Arizona.EDU>
University of Arizona Telecommunications, Tucson AZ 85721

bruce@ccavax.camb.com (11/11/90)

In article <1522@ariadne.csi.forth.GR>, nicolas@csi.forth.gr (Nicolas Chrissakis) writes:
>                  |||| <------- 4 wires (600 meters) under a road.
> I will like to connect the 2 Ethernet segments with these 4 wires.
>
> Any suggestions?
> I do not want to put a baseband modem at 128 Kbits/sec to have a connection.

If the twisted pairs are suitable, a vanilla T1 ckt at 1.544mhz could go over
that. In Europe you folks use something near 2.048, but I don't know about
the cable driving. Here we get about 6000 feet between repeaters. We also
use T1C that is 2 x T1, but there are near end crosstalk problems where
your 2 pairs would get in trouble near each end (ear in mouth disease).

You then need a vanilla remote bridge or possibly router pair.

Since your distance is so short compared to 6000', that maybe you can find
something less common to drive them nearer 10mhz. Good luck.

yyelba@lims03.lerc.nasa.gov (ELBA GUERRIDO) (03/28/91)

Subject: Want to procure a CD-ROM Server - recommendations requested.
Date: 25 MAR 91 14:45:27
Expires: