[comp.dcom.lans] Any cheapie packet decoders?

network@zeus.unomaha.edu (04/03/91)

   Does anyone know of a cheap (<$200.00) or shareware packet decoder
for a PC that will work with a 3Com ethernet card?
   We have some folks hooking up their student labs Ethernet to the
administrative Ethernet with only a repeater, not a bridge.  I've warned
them that a student could decode sensitive data, but I don't think any
of them really believe it's that easy.

Thanks in advance,

Steven Lendt
Network Manager
University of Nebraska at Omaha
Inet: Network@Zeus.UNOmaha.EDU
Bitnet: Network@UNOMA1

jrd@cc.usu.edu (04/06/91)

In article <11955.27f98e28@zeus.unomaha.edu>, network@zeus.unomaha.edu writes:
>    Does anyone know of a cheap (<$200.00) or shareware packet decoder
> for a PC that will work with a 3Com ethernet card?
>    We have some folks hooking up their student labs Ethernet to the
> administrative Ethernet with only a repeater, not a bridge.  I've warned
> them that a student could decode sensitive data, but I don't think any
> of them really believe it's that easy.
>
> Thanks in advance,
>
> Steven Lendt
> Network Manager
> University of Nebraska at Omaha
> Inet: Network@Zeus.UNOmaha.EDU
> Bitnet: Network@UNOMA1

	Netwatch, for Packet Drivers, fills the bill nicely. Cost is zero,
and you can get all the source code. Anonymous ftp to VMS VAX netlab.usu.edu
129.123.1.11, look in directory [anonymous.netwatch] and read the read.me
before transferring everything in sight. Obtain Packet Drivers from
sun.soe.clarkson.edu.
	After you have it running for a while there will be no question about
eavesdropping abilities. Then think if you want to encourage this by leading
people to the solution.
	Joe D.