[comp.dcom.lans] Using a TDR for dB loss

joltes@husc9.harvard.edu (Richard Joltes) (04/05/91)

We've been looking at ways of measuring dB loss along UTP wiring using a
method we found in our Tektronix 1503B TDR manual, and considering our current
findings I'm wondering if anyone uses this method successfully.  What's making
me even more skeptical is that 2 different engineers at Tek have given us two
different methods and they are both convinced they're right!

Personally, I'm skeptical whether it's a valid instrument for testing Freq.
related variables anyway, but if anyone has tried this out please let me know
via e-mail.  If anyone's interested in the results of this survey let me know
and I'll summarize if there's interest.

Dick Joltes						joltes@husc9.harvard.edu
Hardware & Networking Manager, Computer Services 	joltes@husc9.bitnet
Harvard University Science Center

jrd@cc.usu.edu (04/07/91)

In article <1991Apr4.163415.420@husc3.harvard.edu>, joltes@husc9.harvard.edu (Richard Joltes) writes:
> We've been looking at ways of measuring dB loss along UTP wiring using a
> method we found in our Tektronix 1503B TDR manual, and considering our current
> findings I'm wondering if anyone uses this method successfully.  What's making
> me even more skeptical is that 2 different engineers at Tek have given us two
> different methods and they are both convinced they're right!
>
> Personally, I'm skeptical whether it's a valid instrument for testing Freq.
> related variables anyway, but if anyone has tried this out please let me know
> via e-mail.  If anyone's interested in the results of this survey let me know
> and I'll summarize if there's interest.
>
> Dick Joltes						joltes@husc9.harvard.edu
> Hardware & Networking Manager, Computer Services 	joltes@husc9.bitnet
> Harvard University Science Center
-------------
Dick,
	Since you are not letting any cats out of the bag then I wouldn't
expect many responses. Here is the simple, clear, foolproof solution:
put a scope across one end of the twisted pair system, right next to a real
load. Observe waveform quality and strength. Step two is a little tougher
but incisive: put an attenuator between the real load and the wire. You
should expect an attenuation margin of up to 10dB on short wires. But this
is twisted pair wiring where pulse risetimes can be horribly messed up by
coupling and impedance variations and so on (hence the scope). Coax is pretty
much attenuation bound (assuming good connectors and same-reel wiring).
	TDRs, especially the really nifty ones, use extremely short pulses
and consequently very wide bandwidths. The Ethernet board is not such a
good receiver, but it's the only one which matters. That makes pure TDR
observations something of an art. If in doubt consult a competent EE for
some insight.
	Btw, when applying scope to twisted pair one wire goes to each
channel of the scope and run the scope in differential mode to avoid grounding
either wire. Attenuators are tougher to obtain because twisted pair wiring
has an impedance in the neighborhood (a BIG neighborhood) of 120 ohms; best
to make these from a handfull of resistors on the spot. Your problems are
very likely not attenuation at all (twisted pair is naturally low loss) but
rather from diffuse reflections caused by objects adjacent to the pairs.
	Joe D.