[comp.dcom.lans] How to terminate a minimal thin ethernet segment?

roy@alanine.phri.nyu.edu (Roy Smith) (04/06/91)

	Today, I was trying to boot a new FastPath (for those not familiar,
a FastPath is an AppleTalk-Ethernet bridge/router/protocol-converter/etc).
Anyway, it appeared that being connected to the ether while being
configured via the AppleTalk side was confusing it, so I decided to unplug
it from the (thin) ethernet segment it was on until I had it set up
properly.

	Making sure I didn't disrupt the ether segment was easy, I just
took off the base of the T-connector.  But then I was left with an
unterminated BNC on the FastPath.  The "right" way to terminate it, I
suppose, would have been to get another T and put a thin terminator on each
leg, but I didn't have any more terminators handy.  What I did instead was
to just take a 1/8th Watt 51-ohm resistor and connect it across the center
and shield contacts right on the BNC jack.  Shouldn't that have been all I
needed?  The box kept complaining about ethernet errors, so it would appear
it wasn't, but I don't understand why.  Can somebody enlighten me?
455 First Avenue, New York, NY 10016
roy@alanine.phri.nyu.edu -OR- {att,cmcl2,rutgers,hombre}!phri!roy
"Arcane?  Did you say arcane?  It wouldn't be Unix if it wasn't arcane!"

In article <1991Apr5.191653.28927@phri.nyu.edu> roy@alanine.phri.nyu.edu (Roy Smith) writes:
>...but I didn't have any more terminators handy.  What I did instead was
>to just take a 1/8th Watt 51-ohm resistor and connect it across the center
>and shield contacts right on the BNC jack.  Shouldn't that have been all I
>needed?  The box kept complaining about ethernet errors...

Plausible idea, but wrong resistance.  The cable is 50 ohms in *each
direction*, so the impedance seen at the BNC is 25, not 50.

1/8 watt also sounds a bit small, although perhaps it is okay.  If I
recall correctly, the standard recommends 1W terminator resistors, but
that is undoubtedly sized for a severe worst case.
--
"The stories one hears about putting up | Henry Spencer @ U of Toronto Zoology
SunOS 4.1.1 are all true."  -D. Harrison|  henry@zoo.toronto.edu  utzoo!henry

jrd@cc.usu.edu (04/07/91)

In article <1991Apr5.191653.28927@phri.nyu.edu>, roy@alanine.phri.nyu.edu (Roy Smith) writes:
> 	Today, I was trying to boot a new FastPath (for those not familiar,
> a FastPath is an AppleTalk-Ethernet bridge/router/protocol-converter/etc).
> Anyway, it appeared that being connected to the ether while being
> configured via the AppleTalk side was confusing it, so I decided to unplug
> it from the (thin) ethernet segment it was on until I had it set up
> properly.
>
> 	Making sure I didn't disrupt the ether segment was easy, I just
> took off the base of the T-connector.  But then I was left with an
> unterminated BNC on the FastPath.  The "right" way to terminate it, I
> suppose, would have been to get another T and put a thin terminator on each
> leg, but I didn't have any more terminators handy.  What I did instead was
> to just take a 1/8th Watt 51-ohm resistor and connect it across the center
> and shield contacts right on the BNC jack.  Shouldn't that have been all I
> needed?  The box kept complaining about ethernet errors, so it would appear
> it wasn't, but I don't understand why.  Can somebody enlighten me?
> --
> Roy Smith, Public Health Research Institute
> 455 First Avenue, New York, NY 10016
> roy@alanine.phri.nyu.edu -OR- {att,cmcl2,rutgers,hombre}!phri!roy
> "Arcane?  Did you say arcane?  It wouldn't be Unix if it wasn't arcane!"
----------------
Roy,
	I know this will sound simple but...
	A transmitter attached to a Tee connector on the coax sees the
impedance of the coax divided by two: two pieces of coax in parallel. So
you need a 25 Ohm load directly on the BNC connector of the FastPath box.
	Joe D.

roy@phri.nyu.edu (Roy Smith) (04/07/91)

I wrote:
> What I did instead was to just take a 1/8th Watt 51-ohm resistor and
> connect it across the center and shield contacts right on the BNC jack.
> Shouldn't that have been all I needed?

	Several people have already mailed me on this.  What I should have
done was used a 25-ohm resistor (2 50's in parallel; one for each "end" of
the cable).  Assuming a ethernet transmitter is a current source (as was
suggested), having double the resistance put double the voltage on the
cable, which is exactly what you would see in a collision.  I'm embarrassed
that this didn't occur to me when I was doing it.