[comp.dcom.lans] Lantastic AI with 3COM/Western Digital

sdalera@cc.curtin.edu.au (04/06/91)

Recently I have been able to pick up 2 Ethernet cards (for an IBM PC).

Western Digital WD8003E
3COM Etherlink I

I am considering using a networking package called Lantastic (a low-cost
peer-peer networking package).  I've heard conflicting reports on whether
this 3COM card will work properly.  I have got a NetBIOS driver for the
WD8003E card (written by WD) but have no such thing for the 3COM.

My questions are:

1.  Exactly which driver needs to be used for the WD8003E.

2.  Is there a 3COM NetBIOS driver available?

3.  Which drivers are supplied with the AI (Adaptor-Independent) version
    of Lantastic?

4.  Since these drivers are usually publicly available, does anyone know
    of an FTP site(or UUENCODE them to me) for such drivers.

Thanks in advance,
Richard.

 Internet: sdalera@cc.curtin.edu.au
           richard_dale@f626.n690.z3.fidonet.org
 Bitnet:   sdalera%cc.curtin.edu.au@cunyvm.bitnet
 PSImail:  psi%050529452300070::sdalera
 UUCP  :   uunet!munnari.oz!cc.curtin.edu.au!sdalera
 FidoNet:  3:690/626.0@fidonet.org
 Phone:    +61-9-459-4701 (voice)
           +61-9-493-1534 (data) V.32 and below (MNP supported)
           +61-9-493-2625 (data) V.22bis and below (MNP supported)

mwb@jpradley.jpr.com (Michael Brown) (04/08/91)

In article <1991Apr6.234843.7677@cc.curtin.edu.au> sdalera@cc.curtin.edu.au writes:
>Recently I have been able to pick up 2 Ethernet cards (for an IBM PC).
>
>Western Digital WD8003E
>3COM Etherlink I
>
>I am considering using a networking package called Lantastic (a low-cost
>peer-peer networking package).  I've heard conflicting reports on whether
>this 3COM card will work properly.  I have got a NetBIOS driver for the
>WD8003E card (written by WD) but have no such thing for the 3COM.
>
>My questions are:
>
>1.  Exactly which driver needs to be used for the WD8003E.
>
>2.  Is there a 3COM NetBIOS driver available?
>
>3.  Which drivers are supplied with the AI (Adaptor-Independent) version
>    of Lantastic?
>
>4.  Since these drivers are usually publicly available, does anyone know
>    of an FTP site(or UUENCODE them to me) for such drivers.
>
>Thanks in advance,
>Richard.

According to Artisoft's Compatibility List -

1. The WD8003.EXE driver supplied with LANtastic/AI will work, if your card
is one of the following:
   WD8003 EBT rev X0
   WD8013 EBT rev X0
   Elite16 WD8013 EV B 48903

2. The 3Com 3C501, 3C503, 3C505 and 3C523 with their NetBios is listed as
incompatible.

3. The following additional drivers are supplied:
   NEX000.EXE (Novell compatible) for  Accton EtherCoax-8 en1809
                                       Accton EtherCoax-16 en1603-n2
                                       Artisoft AE2 in NE2000 mode revs. C,E
                                       Novell NE2000 rev H
                                       Novell Micro Channel rev F
                                       Sureman Computer & Communication NE-1
   PATCC.COM for Xircom PA02B6-8K ARCNet
   PE.EXE for Xircom Pocket Ethernet PE10B2-8K
   SMCARC.EXE for Standard Microsystems SMC PC200 rev A and PC500WS rev C
   TCARC.EXE for Thomas Conrad TC6045 AT rev C and TC6142 rev C.

The list is dated 3/11/91.

Mike Brown

skl@van-bc.wimsey.bc.ca (Samuel Lam) (04/08/91)

In article <1991Apr6.234843.7677@cc.curtin.edu.au>, you wrote:
>1.  Exactly which driver needs to be used for the WD8003E.

There's a NETBIOS driver for the WD8003E which comes with
the card.  There's also one in the AI/LANBIOS product Artisoft
sells (separately from the Lantastic NOS/AI product).

I know that the latter does work with NOS/AI, and the former
should work also, except that it will take up more memory than
the latter.

>2.  Is there a 3COM NetBIOS driver available?

You should check with 3COM.  I know they have NETBIOS drivers
for at least some of their cards (like the 3C505).

>3.  Which drivers are supplied with the AI (Adaptor-Independent) version
>    of Lantastic?

The Lantastic NOS/AI package comes with no hardware drivers at all,
it simply runs on top of NETBIOS.  Artisoft also sells a AI/LANBIOS
product which contains only a WD8003E NETBIOS driver (as of the
beginning of this year).  Some Ethernet card manufacturers also
have NETBIOS drivers for their cards.

>4.  Since these drivers are usually publicly available, does anyone know
>    of an FTP site(or UUENCODE them to me) for such drivers.

I haven't seen a publicly available NETBIOS-over-Ethernet driver
around on the net yet.  The free packet drivers that has been
floating around the net aren't too useful in the Lantastic context.

...Sam
--
<skl@wimsey.bc.ca>