[comp.dcom.lans] Server Message Block

mshiels@tmsoft.uucp (Michael A. Shiels) (03/26/91)

I know that MS-NET/PC-LAN/LanManager etc are based upon SMB type networking.

Are there any other LANs which use SMBs as there message format?  Are they
documented anywhere?  Thanx.

martino@logitek.co.uk (Martin O'Nions) (04/03/91)

mshiels@tmsoft.uucp (Michael A. Shiels) writes:

>I know that MS-NET/PC-LAN/LanManager etc are based upon SMB type networking.

>Are there any other LANs which use SMBs as there message format?  Are they
>documented anywhere?  Thanx.

Xenix-Net originated ESMBs (Extended SMB) as used in LAN Manager. A good
basic description of LM, SMBs and NetBIOS usage can be found in Kochan &
Wood's 'Unix Networking' (Hayden Books).

This also contains info on UUCP, NFS, TCP/IP, STREAMS, X, RFS and other
goodies - a good buy, although it looks pricey for the size in the U.K.
at first glance.

Martin
--
DISCLAIMER: All My Own Work (Unless stated otherwise)
Martin O'Nions            Logitek Group Support      martino@logitek.co.uk

iain@xopen.co.uk (Iain Currie Devine) (04/08/91)

From article <martino.670687922@krypton>, by martino@logitek.co.uk (Martin O'Nions):
> mshiels@tmsoft.uucp (Michael A. Shiels) writes:
>
>>I know that MS-NET/PC-LAN/LanManager etc are based upon SMB type networking.
>
>>Are there any other LANs which use SMBs as there message format?  Are they
>>documented anywhere?  Thanx.
>
> Xenix-Net originated ESMBs (Extended SMB) as used in LAN Manager. A good
> basic description of LM, SMBs and NetBIOS usage can be found in Kochan &
> Wood's 'Unix Networking' (Hayden Books).

You might also wish to take a look at
"Developers Specification: Protocols for X/Open PC Interworking: SMB"
published by X/Open Company Ltd . The ISBN is 1 872630 01 4. A contact
is Anna Tomassello on +33 734 508311 who has pricing and availablity
details