[comp.dcom.lans] Advanced Netware and MFM

res8595@ritvax.isc.rit.edu (SCIPIONI, RE) (03/27/91)

We're setting up a small office LAN, and are planning on installing Advanced
Netware.  The vendors we've talked to are saying that we have to use MFM drives
  Is this true?  Thanks in advance.

hamish@waikato.ac.nz (04/04/91)

In article <1991Mar27.134625.10659@isc.rit.edu>, res8595@ritvax.isc.rit.edu (SCIPIONI, RE) writes:
> We're setting up a small office LAN, and are planning on installing Advanced
> Netware.  The vendors we've talked to are saying that we have to use MFM drives
>   Is this true?  Thanks in advance.

Your vendor is a bozo! There I said it! Netware can use any type of drive that
you can get a driver for. This includes SCSI, ESDI, IDE (Some have reported
problems with these) etc.

We use SCSI and ESDI drives here (5 SCSI machines 1 ESDI machine) and one other
department is using an IDE drive.

|  Hamish Marson   <h.marson@waikato.ac.nz>                                    |
|  Computer Support Person,  Computer Science Department                     |
|  University of Waikato                                                     |
|Disclaimer:  Anything said in this message is the personal opinion of the   |
|             finger hitting the keyboard & doesn't represent my employers   |
|             opinion in any way. (ie we probably don't agree)               |

jim@rwsys.lonestar.org (James Wyatt KA5VJL) (04/05/91)

res8595@ritvax.isc.rit.edu writes:
>We're setting up a small office LAN, and are planning on installing Advanced
>Netware.  The vendors we've talked to are saying that we have to use MFM drives
>  Is this true?  Thanks in advance.

No, this is not strictly true. Your vendors don't know enough about the Netware
market. We use SCSI drives here, but another disk driver is needed. The OnTrack
VADD (Value-Added Disk Driver) links in with the Netware kernel and utilities
to provide very good support. The only SCSI adaptors we use are from Adaptek,
so I don't know if others are supported (i.e. FutureDomain). You can also mix
MFM and SCSI drives, if you wish. We started with two IDEs on the first server
and added a 170Mb SCSI later without a complete reinstall. We just use SCSI
now - most of the time.

Netware, however, does not come with SCSI drivers, you must buy those form
OnTrak. I can get the address if you want.
----
James Wyatt (KA5VJL) - Standard disclaimer applies...          (H)817-595-0571
{letni.lonestar.org,merch.tandy.com}!rwsys.lonestar.org!jim    (W)817-390-2864

mjl@unix.cis.pitt.edu (Michael J Lewinter) (04/06/91)

In article <13634@rwsys.lonestar.org> jim@rwsys.lonestar.org (James Wyatt KA5VJL) writes:
>res8595@ritvax.isc.rit.edu writes:
>>We're setting up a small office LAN, and are planning on installing Advanced
                     ^^^^ Key word here!!!

>>Netware.  The vendors we've talked to are saying that we have to use MFM drives
>>  Is this true?  Thanks in advance.
>
>No, this is not strictly true. Your vendors don't know enough about the Netware
>market. We use SCSI drives here, but another disk driver is needed. The OnTrack

At this time the above is not strictly true.  ELS Netware  the 4 & 8
user count versions of netware, don't allow for value added disk drivers.
Other versions of Netware do. One of the claimed features of netware 2.2 is
that it does support VADD's, even in the lowest user count versions.  This
product is supposed to be shipping now, but I can't confirm for sure.  Ask
your vendor about 2.2 (assuming that they are Authorised Resellers for
Netware, they will probably know about the product)

Michael J. LeWinter

--
All email, no cute messages to mankind :       mjl@vms.cis.pitt.edu
                                               mjl@pittvms.bitnet

martino@logitek.co.uk (Martin O'Nions) (04/08/91)

Just for the record, ESDI drives used with WD1007 family controllers will
normally work fine with any of the versions of NetWare 2.1 and above, and
without alternative drivers.

Drives with capacities of > 150Mb may cause one or two problems though,
because they tend to have more than 1024 cylinders; I've seen drives of
up to 700Mb used with the standard driver on NetWare 2.15, but you need
to get the definition tables and the low level format to match....

Martin
--
DISCLAIMER: All My Own Work (Unless stated otherwise)
Martin O'Nions            Logitek Group Support      martino@logitek.co.uk