[comp.dcom.lans] Wanted: Ethernet packet tech. specs.

eandrews@ingres.com (edward e andrews) (04/05/91)

Finding out the format of IP, TCP, UDP, and ICMP is easy.  Everything else
is difficult.  I'd like to find out the technical specs for the following
protocols:
		DECNET
		LAVC
		DECLAT
		NetBIOS
		NETBEUI

Any leads would be appreciated.

Ed Andrews
ASK Inc. / Ingres Products Division
eandrews.ingres.com

In article <1991Apr4.190911.14948@ingres.Ingres.COM> eandrews@ingres.com (edward e andrews) writes:
>Finding out the format of IP, TCP, UDP, and ICMP is easy.  Everything else
>is difficult.  I'd like to find out the technical specs for the following
>protocols:
>		DECNET
>		LAVC
>		DECLAT
>		NetBIOS
>		NETBEUI

I don't know about the rest, but the situation for LAT is simple:  you can't.
It's proprietary.  Use Telnet.
--
"The stories one hears about putting up | Henry Spencer @ U of Toronto Zoology
SunOS 4.1.1 are all true."  -D. Harrison|  henry@zoo.toronto.edu  utzoo!henry

andrew@jhereg.osa.com (Andrew C. Esh) (04/10/91)

In article <1991Apr5.162615.17234@zoo.toronto.edu> henry@zoo.toronto.edu (Henry Spencer) writes:
>In article <1991Apr4.190911.14948@ingres.Ingres.COM> eandrews@ingres.com (edward e andrews) writes:
>>Finding out the format of IP, TCP, UDP, and ICMP is easy.  Everything else
>>is difficult.  I'd like to find out the technical specs for the following
>>protocols:
>>		DECNET
>>		LAVC
>>		DECLAT
>>		NetBIOS
>>		NETBEUI
>
>I don't know about the rest, but the situation for LAT is simple:  you can't.
>It's proprietary.  Use Telnet.
>--
>"The stories one hears about putting up | Henry Spencer @ U of Toronto Zoology
>SunOS 4.1.1 are all true."  -D. Harrison|  henry@zoo.toronto.edu  utzoo!henry

LAT seems to have gotten into HP's hands, since they were able to write a
decode package for their HP-4972A Lan Analyzer that can decode LAT Packets,
as well as just about every other DEC packet type.

Maybe it's proprietary so that another company can't make boxes that use
the same packets, but anyone who has to fix a DEC net needs to know what
the fields are, or the DEC portion of the problem will be almost impossible
to solve. Not something DEC would like to have happen.

I'd call up DEC and ask them. If they're no help, call HP and ask them how
they did it.
--
Andrew C. Esh			andrew@osa.com
Open Systems Architects, Inc.

In article <1991Apr10.000558.14760@jhereg.osa.com> andrew@jhereg.osa.com (Andrew C. Esh) writes:
>>I don't know about the rest, but the situation for LAT is simple:  you can't.
>>It's proprietary.  Use Telnet.
>
>LAT seems to have gotten into HP's hands, since they were able to write a
>decode package for their HP-4972A Lan Analyzer...

Oh, you can *license* the specs for LAT.  Just don't expect to get them
for free.
--
And the bean-counter replied,           | Henry Spencer @ U of Toronto Zoology
"beans are more important".             |  henry@zoo.toronto.edu  utzoo!henry