[comp.dcom.lans] PCroute License Requirement

amc@cup.portal.com (Alan Michael Crawley) (04/07/91)

If you are using Vance Morrison's code known as PCroute in a commercial
or government business you may need a license.

The sole worldwide owner of the code and the name PCroute is a development
company in Pleasanton California called LANport Inc.  They are enhancing it
to make it a commercial product.  Call for info, license or help.
Have your contract purchasing person call..
415-462-8700
Ask for Etienne Taylor.
If you are an educational or non-profit there is no charge..but register for
updates etc.

I am a stockholder in LANport, but not an employee.
Thanks..Alan MIchael Crawley

paul@frcs.UUCP (Paul Nash) (04/11/91)

Thus spake amc@cup.portal.com (Alan Michael Crawley):

> If you are using Vance Morrison's code known as PCroute in a commercial
> or government business you may need a license.
>
> The sole worldwide owner of the code and the name PCroute is a development
> company in Pleasanton California called LANport Inc.  They are enhancing it
> to make it a commercial product.

If Lanport bought the code from Vance (or if Vance formed the company
and decided to go commercial with PCroute), this does _not_ affect
all the copies of PCroute currently in circulation.  It will only
affect the ``enhanced'' ``commercial'' version.  Anyone who has
any of the current copies can keep using it legally, and keep giving
copies away.  Read the docs that come with the code :-)

Buying something gives no rights over a version that existed before.
There was a big debate about this vis-a-vis Ghostscript, which might
go commercial (:-() later -- the versions released before that will
still be covered by the GPL.

Don't try to persuade people using PCroute that they have to pay you
money -- they don't!  They only have to keep using the current (non-
commercial) versions.

 ---=---=---=---=---=---=---=---=---=---=---=---=---=---=---=---=---=---
Paul Nash				   Free Range Computer Systems cc
paul@frcs.UUCP				      ...!uunet!m2xenix!frcs!paul

amc@cup.portal.com (Alan Michael Crawley) (04/14/91)

Lanport has no intension of attempting to charge anyone for licensing
PCroute versions prior to Copyright 1991 Lanport Inc.  Only enhanced versions
will cost.

We are interested in enhancements, by the way.

Sorry for any confusion.
Alan Crawley
Lanport Inc.

kuyper@cside1.uucp (Kuyper Hoffman) (04/15/91)

In article <452@frcs.UUCP> paul@frcs.UUCP (Paul Nash) writes:
>Don't try to persuade people using PCroute that they have to pay you
>money -- they don't!  They only have to keep using the current (non-
>commercial) versions.

Especially since some of the newer versions don't match good ole
version 2.1.  I had problems with the Beta Release of 2.2 when used
as an IPX/TCP router.  It simply doesn't work, but simply replacing
the .EXE file with pktpkt2.1 (ie no change to the config file) works
great.  Anyone else had this?  What's the latest NON-commercial
release?
--
|      Kuyper Hoffman                   |  Life is just a bowl of All-Bran |
|  kuyper@cside1.UUCP                   |  You wake up every morning       |