[comp.dcom.lans] Important Petition/Technology

alex@grian.cps.altadena.ca.us (Alex Pournelle) (04/17/91)

Followup should probably be to one of the other existing groups, like
comp.dcom.lans or maybe one of the radio conferences.

Some background on wireless LANs:

Motorola's Altair wireless Ethernet replacement is available NOW, and
runs at full Ethernet speed.  The product is meant to replace horizontal
wiring in buildings, with one Control Module feeding up to six User
Modules.  It's just a "piece of wire" to Ethernet, not requiring any
special drivers or software.

Altair runs at 18 Ghz--well above almost any
existing bands.  It's cellular microwave, with encryption.  Since 18Ghz
has really high propagation losses, they only claim 40-80 feet radius
(although tests have shown that you can use it in open-plan offices of
130 foot radius).  Due to the very low signal strength, subharmonic
interference with other products is extremely unlikely.

The ecrypted signal means it's also unlikely
you're going to get attacked.  Probably more likely that wire will be
attacked via induction pickups.

Since Motorola allocates the channels (they have ten), there is little
chance of interference.  They also allocate reuse carefully, so you
probably won't have ANY chance unless they sell bazillions of them.

Someone claimed that we can't get reliable radio data over 56 KBPS.
That may be true in amateur, but voice calls have been carried digitally
over microwave for over thirty years: microwave T-1.  And the Altair
product is true Ethernet speed.

NCR's WaveLAN is a secondary user (along with amateur) of a small band
just above cellular.  There may be a problem with signal strength and
interference next to a commercial cell site.  Since it's
spread-spectrum, the likelihood of signal attacks isn't very high.

This is a more point-to-point product, with a card per station.  You can
also get distance extender directional antennas in addition to
the omnidirectional it comes with.

jerry@truevision.com (Jerry Thompson) writes:

>In article <1991Apr11.034720.26091@uncecs.edu> urjlew@uncecs.edu (Rostyk Lewyckyj) writes:
>>[What band will be used?]
They want to reallocate some military spectrum.  Getting FCC approcal
for reallocation is, as Motorola will attest, difficult.  Since Motorola
owns this spectrum, they don't have to worry about competing or
incompatible products.

>>Will it be the CB radio bands?
Unlikely--way too much signal out there.
>>Will it be marine bands?
>>Will it be a piece of some current commercial band allocation?
Most likely.
>>[Will it be cellular?]
Very unlikely.  Way too many objections, most with huge money.
>>[Why would anyone miss a few TV channels?]
If they're already in use, plenty of people would.  FCC has already
reallocated a couple of UHF channels as public-safety.

>Sounds to me like Apple has a product they want to make so they can dominate
>an important flow of information and put a choke hold on it so we will all
>have to pay them a lot of money to use it and then the Japenese will come in
>with improvements on it because Apple was charging outrageous prices for some
>lame-o hardware and then the Japenese will control the radio computer network
>and start broadcasting advertisements into our computers for cars and TV's and
>we will all be brainwashed and submit to their control.  But I like the idea.

Other than the tongue-in-someone's-cheek tone, this isn't a very valid
criticism, since Apple has several partners in the venture, who are to
also provide products.

	Alex

P.S. I sell the Motorola Altair product.
--
		Alex Pournelle, freelance thinker
		Also: Workman & Associates, Data recovery for PCs, Macs, others

ge@dbf.kun.nl (Ge' Weijers) (04/17/91)

alex@grian.cps.altadena.ca.us (Alex Pournelle) writes:

>>In article <1991Apr11.034720.26091@uncecs.edu> urjlew@uncecs.edu (Rostyk Lewyckyj) writes:
>>>[What band will be used?]
>They want to reallocate some military spectrum.  Getting FCC approcal
>for reallocation is, as Motorola will attest, difficult.  Since Motorola
>owns this spectrum, they don't have to worry about competing or
>incompatible products.

It will be even harder to get WARC or CEPT approval, as they are not likely
to look favourably upon allocating bandwidth for proprietary protocols.
Motorola owns this spectrum as long as they don't export the equipment.
Overhere Altair is not available as far as I know.

>>>Will it be the CB radio bands?
>Unlikely--way too much signal out there.

CB users are voters too. VERY unlikely, as # CB-users >> # AppleXXXNet users.
Only bands with predictable propagation can be used. Intercontinental CB
happens sometimes on a sunspot maximum. Same for other HF and VHF bands.
(((News flash: on monday our LAN went WAN)))
This is definitely an application for the > 1 GHz range.

Perhaps it would be a good idea to get Apple c.s. to negotiate a world-wide
frequency band or set of bands, and get a IEEE 802.x standard for it.
At least different types of equipment should use the same collision control
protocol so it all can operate on the same bands.

	Ge'
--
Ge' Weijers                                    Internet/UUCP: ge@cs.kun.nl
Faculty of Mathematics and Computer Science,   (uunet.uu.net!cs.kun.nl!ge)