[comp.dcom.lans] Motorolas "wireless lan"

rmz@ifi.uio.no (Bj|rn Remseth) (04/15/91)

Does anyone have any hard facts on motorolas new "wireless lan".   All
I've seen so far is hype.

--
                                                    (Rmz)

Bj\o rn Remseth      Institutt for Informatikk       Net:      rmz@ifi.uio.no
Phone: +472 453466   Universitetet i Oslo, Norway    NeXTmail: rmz@neste.uio.no

yedinak@motcid.UUCP (Mark A. Yedinak) (04/16/91)

rmz@ifi.uio.no (Bj|rn Remseth) writes:

:Does anyone have any hard facts on motorolas new "wireless lan".   All
:I've seen so far is hype.

Within the US you can call +1-800-233-0877.  Their are people available to
answer any questions you may have.  If you are unable to use this number,  then
you may write to the following address and request information:

	Motorola Inc.
	ALTAIR Product Development
	3205 Wilke Road
	Arlington Heights,  Illinois   60004
	USA
	Attn:  Cheryl Beck

It is a good product and it does really work.  But then again I am biased,  I
work on th eproject.  I can honestly say that I have been a satisified user
since mid December.

Hope this information helps.

--
Mark A. Yedinak - uunet!motcid!yedinak 		*  "Don't take life too
Motorola - General Systems Sector		*   seriously, you will

krol@ux1.cso.uiuc.edu (Ed Krol) (04/22/91)

We had Motorola come out and demonstrate it.  When it works it
works and when it doesn't it doesn't.  It is meant to be a
plug and play ethernet replacement.  A central unit which will
be a learning bridge for 32 enet addresses.  There can be any
number of remote units which will drive up to 6 hosts on their
local section of enet.  We plugged it into an existing
enet by way of a cabletron multiport repeated then put
the remote box on a cart with a compac and wheeled it around the
lab.  Second it is not meant to be a mobile ethernet.  It does
a lot of calculation about best route out of the 6 sided antenna
and whenever you move it there is about 30 seconds of recalibration.
When the remote end got a green light (good connection) the thing
worked well.  When we got a flashing green (not good connection, but
detecting central site) it sometimes worked and sometimes not.
The does it work appears to be based on how much concrete is between
the two sites.  We tried it a short distance through a maze of
cinderblock and it failed.  But by moving slightly it worked.
Its also a bit pricy (~3k/box).  I guess I would say if I had
what I thought was a reason to use it I would try some before
I bought.

andrew@jhereg.osa.com (Andrew C. Esh) (04/22/91)

Does anyone have anything on the NCR Wireless? I don't recall where I saw
it, but if I can get some details on it and it looks worthwhile, I may
wander over to their office  and get a demo.
--
Andrew C. Esh			andrew@osa.com
Open Systems Architects, Inc.

opsrjh@uccvma.ucop.edu (Richard Hintz) (04/22/91)

In article <4473@catfish11.UUCP> yedinak@motcid.UUCP (Mark A. Yedinak) writes:
>It is a good product and it does really work.  But then again I am biased,  I
>work on th eproject.  I can honestly say that I have been a satisified user
>since mid December.

My first impression from the illustrations in the promotional literature was
that
the units seem to take up a lot of real estate in an office.  How does this
work out in reality?

Richard Hintz   opsrjh@uccvma.ucop.edu
University of California

zeleznik@cs.utah.edu (Mike Zeleznik) (04/23/91)

In article <1991Apr22.152329.17603@jhereg.osa.com> andrew@jhereg.osa.com (Andrew C. Esh) writes:
>Does anyone have anything on the NCR Wireless?  ...

The following is what I know about the NCR WaveLAN product, from the
sales lit and a call to their 800-CALL-NCR number.

  2 Mbps
  Distance: 100 to 800 ft, depending on environment
  Available for MS-DOS and Netware
  spread spectrum, 250mW output, 902-928 MHz.
  options include DES encryption, Boot ROM.
  LIST price about $1,390, but I imagine can get for much less

Mike

  Michael Zeleznik        University of Utah, Computer Science Dept.
  zeleznik@cs.utah.edu    801-581-5617

yedinak@motcid.UUCP (Mark A. Yedinak) (04/24/91)

opsrjh@uccvma.ucop.edu (Richard Hintz) writes:

:In article <4473@catfish11.UUCP> yedinak@motcid.UUCP (Mark A. Yedinak) writes:
:>It is a good product and it does really work.  But then again I am biased,  I
:>work on th eproject.  I can honestly say that I have been a satisified user
:>since mid December.

:My first impression from the illustrations in the promotional literature was
:that the units seem to take up a lot of real estate in an office.  How does
:this work out in reality?

The units are not that large.  They are roughly 2.5" high,  7" wide and 11"
long.  Also,  mine is mounted on top of my cube partion,  so it does not take up
any space in any of my work area.  As my previous post stated,  you may call the
800 number for additional information or contact Cheryl Beck directly.  The tool
free number 1-800-233-0877 or you can contact Cheryl directorly at:

    Motorola, Inc.
    3215 N. Wilke Road
    Arlington Heights,  Illinois  60004

    Attn: Cheryl Beck

If anyone still has my last posting,  you may notice that the address is
slightly different.  Do not worry,  either one will get to her,  but this
address is the more direct one.

Again,  the product is really worth getting additional information.