[comp.dcom.lans] LAN traffic

rmcmahon@houvmscc.vnet.ibm.com (04/24/91)

Does anybody out there have any empirical data or know of
any references containing information on what kind of traffic
can be expected on a small PC lan?  Ball park figures will
be fine.

The LAN configuration that I have in mind is 7 PC's with
1 Server which stores all the applications.  Most of the
applications will run on each PC but the requester RAM
will be loaded over the network.  1 Laser Printer will be
connected to the server.  Finally, the applications will be
word processing, spreadsheets, e-mail ect - nothing to demanding
on the network.

Thanks to anyone who may have such a configuration and have some
empirical numbers.

Bob McMahon
 ** If at first you don't succeed, so much for skydiving.

sshriva@hubcap.clemson.edu (Sumant Shrivastava) (04/25/91)

In article <9104232157.AA29513@ucbvax.Berkeley.EDU>, rmcmahon@houvmscc.vnet.ibm.com writes:
> Does anybody out there have any empirical data or know of
> any references containing information on what kind of traffic
> can be expected on a small PC lan?  Ball park figures will
> be fine.
>
> The LAN configuration that I have in mind is 7 PC's with
> 1 Server which stores all the applications.  Most of the
> applications will run on each PC but the requester RAM
> will be loaded over the network.  1 Laser Printer will be
> connected to the server.  Finally, the applications will be
> word processing, spreadsheets, e-mail ect - nothing to demanding
> on the network.
>
> Thanks to anyone who may have such a configuration and have some
> empirical numbers.
>
> Bob McMahon
>  ** If at first you don't succeed, so much for skydiving.

The following may be of interest to you:

1. Measured Ethernet Performance for Multiple Large File Transfers,
   S. Francis, V. S. Frost, D.L. Soldan, Proceedings - 14th conference on
   local computer networks, IEEE Computer Society, 1989, pp 323-327.

2. Measured Performance of an Ethernet Local Network, J. F. Shoch,
   J. A. Hupp, The Ethernet Sourcebook, Elsevier Science Publishing,
   1985, pp 31-54.

The authors of [1] are/were University of Kansas and of [2] with
XEROX (Palo Alto).

Sumant