[comp.dcom.lans] EtherCard Plus vs. Digiboard PC/16i??

todd@pinhead.pegasus.com (Todd Ogasawara) (04/24/91)

Has anyone solved the problem of trying to get a Western Digital EtherCard
Plus (WD8003E) to work in a computer that also has a Digiboard PC/16i card
(a 16 port serial board)?

I just found out that the EtherCard Plus is somehow colliding with my
Digiboard. If anyone has figured this one out, please let me know. Here are
the particulars.

	Interactive UNIX 2.2 (UNIX System V/386 R3)
	Interactive UNIX TCP/IP 1.2
	Everex Step 386/33 w/8M RAM, 80387, 600M Maxtor ESDI hard disk
	150M Wangtek tape drive and controller
	Everex VGA card (I stuck it in an 8-bit slot to prevent
			 collisions with the Ethernet card)
	Digiboard PC/16i (no IRQ set as per instructions,
			  I/O port=120, Memory start=F00000)
	EtherCard Plus WD8003E(IRQ=4[I disabled COM1: to use this IRQ],
			       I/O port=280, memory blk=E0000-E1FFF)

The only way I can get two WD8003E cards to talk to each other is to pull
out the Digiboard from my Everex. My distributer (Viatek) is looking into
this problem. But I thought I'd check the net in case they can't figure a
way out of this problem.
--
Todd Ogasawara ::: Hawaii Medical Service Association
Internet       ::: todd@pinhead.pegasus.com

todd@pinhead.pegasus.com (Todd Ogasawara) (04/27/91)

In article <1991Apr24.005744.285@pinhead.pegasus.com> todd@pinhead.pegasus.com (Todd Ogasawara) writes:
>Has anyone solved the problem of trying to get a Western Digital EtherCard
>Plus (WD8003E) to work in a computer that also has a Digiboard PC/16i card
>(a 16 port serial board)?
>
>I just found out that the EtherCard Plus is somehow colliding with my
>Digiboard. If anyone has figured this one out, please let me know. Here are
>the particulars.

After a lot of experimenting I finally got my WD8003 EtherPlus Card to work
with my Digiboard PC/16i board. It turned out that the WD8003 only worked
reliably (i.e., no panics) when its address was set to D0000-D1ffff. So, I
set it back to D0000 like everyone suggested. The big trick to get
everything to work was a jumper on the Digiboard. DigiBoard and my vendor
advised me to change jumper J3 from pins 2&3 to pins 1&2. This changed the
size of the dual ported memory on the board from 128K to 64K. I was able to
leave the memory address alone.

In any case, with these changes have finally allowed me to connect a bunch
of people on a Token Ring based Novell LAN to an Ethernet equipped UNIX box
using TCP/IP.