[comp.dcom.lans] HLM

ng@neutron.mpr.ca (Steve Ng) (04/26/91)

I heard about this Heterogeneous LAN Management (HLM) standards. Can
someone give me pointers as where I can find further info on it? (e.g.,
what does the standards cover (i.e, scope)? object classes, protocols,
messages, etc.?)  I also heard that IEEE 802 committee is taking this
standards and converting it into 802.1b. Is that true? Any draft output
from the 802 committee yet?  Where can I order it?  Help on the above
issues is very much appreciated.

Steve.

Steve Ng              INTERNET: ng@mprgate.mpr.ca  or  ng%mprgate@cs.ubc.ca
MPR Teltech Ltd.,     UUCP: ...uunet!ubc-cs!mprgate!ng
8999 Nelson Way,      CSNET: ng%mprgate.mpr.ca@RELAY.CS.NET
Burnaby, B.C.,        PHONENET: (604) 293-5463
Canada. (V5A 4B5)     FAX: (604) 293-5787

jek@fibercom.COM (Jim Kristof) (04/28/91)

In article <NG.91Apr25222441@neutron.mpr.ca> ng@neutron.mpr.ca (Steve Ng) writes:
>I heard about this Heterogeneous LAN Management (HLM) standards. Can
>someone give me pointers as where I can find further info on it? (e.g.,

You can call 3COM, they are distributing copies to any interested parties.

>what does the standards cover (i.e, scope)? object classes, protocols,
>messages, etc.?)
It covers object classes, services for transfer of information, and
the protocol for conducting exchanges and their formats.

> I also heard that IEEE 802 committee is taking this
>standards and converting it into 802.1b. Is that true? Any draft output
>from the 802 committee yet?  Where can I order it?  Help on the above
>issues is very much appreciated.

That's not exactly correct.  The 802.1b committee has for several years
been developing a standard for a simpler use of the CMIP protocol
that is better suited to LAN/WAN network devices than the full systems
management stack version.  CMIP purists have, until recently, fought this
effort.

There is convergence discussion currently ongoing in 802.1b
between the original spec and what the HLM proposal is.  No
draft has been officially circulated to date.  You can order the
document from IEEE when it becomes available.

--
James E. Kristof                    INTERNET: jek@fibercom.com
FiberCom, Inc.                      UUCP: ...!uunet!fibercom!jek