[comp.dcom.lans] XNS

cyrus@hi.unm.edu (Tait Cyrus) (05/15/88)

I am looking for the equivalent of an RFC that describes XNS packets
that has the same detail as the IP/TCP/UDP/etc RFCs.  Although I have
source available, I would prefer if a document were available.
A `man' on a BSD 4.3 system yields the following from the ns man page:

SEE ALSO
     intro(3), byteorder(3N), gethostbyname(3N), getnetent(3N),
     getprotoent(3N), getservent(3N), ns(3N), intro(4N), spp(4P),
     idp(4P), nsip(4)
->   Internet Transport Protocols, Xerox Corporation document XSIS-028112
     An Advanced 4.3BSD Interprocess Communication Tutorial

Is the line I have marked with a -> the document I am looking for?  If so,
how do I go about getting a copy?

Thanks in advance...

--
    @__________@    W. Tait Cyrus   (505) 277-0806
   /|         /|    University of New Mexico
 @/_________@/        cyrus@hc.dspo.gov

chris@mimsy.UUCP (Chris Torek) (05/15/88)

In article <23592@hi.unm.edu> cyrus@hi.unm.edu (Tait Cyrus) writes:
>I am looking for the equivalent of an RFC that describes XNS packets
>that has the same detail as the IP/TCP/UDP/etc RFCs.
>
>->   Internet Transport Protocols, Xerox Corporation document XSIS-028112
>
>Is [this] the document I am looking for?  If so, how do I go about
>getting a copy?

Probably.  XSIS 028112 gives the format for IDP and SPP packets, and
also for PEX and some others I have forgotten.  None of the really
useful protocols (Mail, Filing, etc) are in it, though.

You should be able to order these from somewhere within Xerox.  (We
never did manage to get the Mail protocol, so Jack Callahan reverse
engineered it instead....)

mshiels@TMSoftware.ca (Michael A. Shiels) (05/01/91)

Where can I find some information (detailed!) on the XNS protocol?  And more
specifically the Ungermann?Bass XNS NetBIOS implementation for OS/2 and DOS