[comp.dcom.lans] Banyan and Interlan cards???

heidnes@spurv.runit.sintef.no (Hans Eidnes) (04/24/91)

In our Banyan based LAN we have some severe problems.  Some of the
workstations (PS/2's and XT's) can not be used with Banyan drivers due to
the network cards and the corresponding driver supplied with the server.
I assume that the problem is in the Banyan software because NCSA Telnet
works fine over packet drivers.  The LAN is connected to the university
wide network, and there is *a lot* of traffic coming to us through the bridge.

The drivers that are causing troubles are made for their respective cards;
NI9210 (MCA) and NI5210 (ISA) both from Interlan.

My questions are:
1. Do anybody have any experience with Banyan and these cards in an
   environment with heavy traffic?

2. Is our version of drivers "out of date"? (Have Banyan made a patch that
   has not reached us?)

3. Is it possible to run Banyan software on top of a packet driver?
   (Please describe.)

--
- Hans Eidnes                           e-mail : heidnes@lise.unit.no
  Centre for Computer Aided Learning    phone  : +47-7-59 47 88

gs940971@longs.LANCE.ColoState.Edu (Glen U. Sunada) (04/30/91)

In article <1991Apr24.125622.20331@ugle.unit.no> heidnes@spurv.runit.sintef.no (Hans Eidnes) writes:
>In our Banyan based LAN we have some severe problems.  Some of the
>workstations (PS/2's and XT's) can not be used with Banyan drivers due to
    ... stuff deleted ...
>My questions are:
>1. Do anybody have any experience with Banyan and these cards in an
>   environment with heavy traffic?
	1. The  NI5210 has given me problems running in a 20 MHz 386 -
		The 386 is my server and would ocasionally hang under heavy
		traffic.  Fixed by switching to a WD ELITE/EPR+ (8013+)

	2. Make sure that the I/O port, shared memory address AND INTERRUPT
		are set properly.  NCSA Telnet does NOT use the interrupt
		BANYAN does.  If ANY of the three are set wrong BANYAN hangs
		run the BANYAN dig5210 and dig9210 to check.

>2. Is our version of drivers "out of date"? (Have Banyan made a patch that
>   has not reached us?)
	The latest patches I know of are 2 for general servers
				2nnn for TCP/IP routing servers
				2yyg for TCP/IP routing servers

>3. Is it possible to run Banyan software on top of a packet driver?
>   (Please describe.)
	I have heard that it is possible to run BANYAN with the NDIS
	drivers.  Howerver, it seems that it will not run with PCTCP
	and may not run with  any telnet/ftp package

---------
Glen U. Sunada
	gs940971@longs.lance.colostate.edu
rebound to ...!ncar!boulder!ccncsu!longs.lance.colstate.edu!gs940971
alt.  Glen=Sunada%Admin%GWave@Vines.ColoState.EDU
all opinions are my own and in no way reflect on my school, employers, etc.

stevela@beach.csulb.edu (Steve La) (05/02/91)

  We have approximately 400 NI5210 Interlan cards installed in several
different type of PCs (IBM PC, Zenith 286-16/386-16/386-20/386-25/386-33,
Packard Bell 386-16/386-33). These PCs are connected to our 20 Banyan servers
(running VINES 4.00 rev 1).  We are running PC/TCP IBANYAN driver (from
FTPsoftware, Inc.)  So far, we haven't encountered any problems with this
configuration.  PC/TCP is a full function TCP/IP package (Telnet, TN3270, FTP,
FTPserver, Finger, WhoIs, SMTPmail, etc).  The software costs $899 per server.
If you have a limited budget, you can set up one of your server as a TCP/IP
gateway.  IBANYAN driver uses VINES protocol, so it can be access anywhere in
your network.  Hope this helps.
-Steve
   //   // _//_                       //                 Steve La
  ((__     //   ___   _     ___      //      __       Network Manager
      ))  //   //__) //  / //__)    //     ____)     stevela@csulb.edu
Calstate Univ. Long Beach,  1250 Bellflower Blvd. Long Beach, CA 90840